Solved

SSD Space Usage Discrepancy - Need Info!

Hello TH,

So I'm using a Crucial M4 128GB SSD and running Windows 7 and the disk usage stats are giving me fits. With the SSD being so small, I'm trying to save space wherever I can. The drive capacity is listed as 119GB. The pie chart says that I have used 113GB, Yet when I add the size of everything within the C:// Drive folder, it only adds up to 100GB (yes, I show hidden/system files). I can't figure out where 10% of my drive's space has gone or what it's being used for! Please help.

Thank you,
M
3 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about space usage discrepancy info
  1. System restore points and the paging file -- you can do away with both.
  2. RealBeast said:
    System restore points and the paging file -- you can do away with both.

I had already reduced the size of my allocated space for system restore to about 2GB (it's currently at 1.8GB), and I adjusted my page file (I have 8GB of RAM, so it was consuming 8103MB worth of space). I moved the 8GB page file to my secondary drive (HDD) and set it at 8103-8303MB), and set a smaller one on my SSD (1024-1536MB). The page file on my SSD and the system restore now equal roughly 3GB, but I'm still getting a discrepancy in my C:// usage: 107GB vs. 101GB. So even when factoring in the above 3GB, I'm still missing roughly 3GB of space. Any thoughts?
  3. Best answer
    Those two are usually most of the difference, but it might be worth running CCleaner, which is free (http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner) -- the analysis will show you how much is in temp/tmp folders that you can reclaim.
Ask a new question

Read More

SSD Storage