SDRAM strange issue?

Fef

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2008
Hello,

Here something strange that is happening with my RAM.
I have 2 chip [ G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)].
Recently after experiencing graphic card problem I tried to invert the 2 chips on the motherboard. When I did the computer could not detect the RAM anymore.

Here the weird , or at least it is new to me. In my initial setting the computer recognize the 4GB memory and do not report any malfunction. But if I invert them on the MOB [using the same slots] it doesn't work anymore. If I am not crazy if one of the chip was not working why when they are plugged in the initial setting (even now) they are working fine?

Any clue?

Just for info if important my MOB is an ASUS P7P55D EVO, CPU core i5 750.

Best,
Fef

Solution
No, you don't need to reinstall Windows. Which exact Ripjaws 1600MHz kit do you have? All these match your description:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=+1052315794&QksAutoSuggestion=&ShowDeactivatedMark=False&Configurator=&Subcategory=-1&description=ripjaws+1600+4gb&Ntk=&CFG=&SpeTabStoreType=&srchInDesc=

You should manually set the RAM speed, timings, and voltage to their rated specs in the BIOS. Once you set the values then you should perform an overnight Memtest86+ test to check for RAM errors.

First of all there are mega problems with the EVO motherboard. Especially with the chipsets and drivers. Then second, the memory must be installed in the two slots closest to the processor. Do not install any of the Asus power saver applications. Turn off power saver in the bios. Reinstall windows from the original OS disk, in repair mode, without reformatting the hard drive, without erasing your personal files. After windows is reinstalled it will configure the memory and should work again.
But to tell you the truth, you should be using a gigabyte board instead.

I don't know where you're getting your information about the RAM placement, but it's absolutely not true. On page 2-10 the motherboard owners manual clearly shows that you use the blue slots (DIMMs A1 & B1) when using two sticks of RAM in dual-channel.

The manual as we soon discover does not give us very good advice. But it's an Asus manual, what do you expect? Of course, if he had a gigabyte board, he would not be having these problems. Why not call Asus tech support, oh, they don't answer? That's what makes them famous.

Fef

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2008

That is what I did, they are install on the A1 & B1 slots. Since I put each DIMM in the order I placed them originally, the problem disappeared. So I do not need to reinstall windows as soundgurumai suggested.

Is there any test I could run on each DIMM to sea if they are fully functional?

No, you don't need to reinstall Windows. Which exact Ripjaws 1600MHz kit do you have? All these match your description:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=+1052315794&QksAutoSuggestion=&ShowDeactivatedMark=False&Configurator=&Subcategory=-1&description=ripjaws+1600+4gb&Ntk=&CFG=&SpeTabStoreType=&srchInDesc=

You should manually set the RAM speed, timings, and voltage to their rated specs in the BIOS. Once you set the values then you should perform an overnight Memtest86+ test to check for RAM errors.

Solution

Fef

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2008

THe exact one are:
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL7D-4GBRM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231303

I will try Memtest86+, Thanks a lot.