LGA 1156 and two PCIe 2.0 x16 slots

Status
Not open for further replies.

somerandomguy2

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2009
I just have a quick question. I'm building a budget gaming pc for my girl and I can't seem to locate a LGA1156 MB that has two PCI Express 2.0 x16 slots that will function at x16 with two cards. The several i have looked at all drop down to x8 and x8. Two full x16 slots would be ideal for upgrading purposes down the road. Is this a pricepoint issue or are there limitations to the LGA1156 architecture that do not allow two full slots?

Thanks,
somerandomguy2

Solution
Check out the MSI P55-GD80.. And yes, the P55 chipset architecture basically restricts manufacturer's to employ two x16 slots running together at x8 speeds.. However, there is no significant difference between dual 16x and dual 8x speeds (5% at max)..
Check out the MSI P55-GD80.. And yes, the P55 chipset architecture basically restricts manufacturer's to employ two x16 slots running together at x8 speeds.. However, there is no significant difference between dual 16x and dual 8x speeds (5% at max)..

Solution

4745454b

Titan
Remember Intel folded the Northbridge (NB) into the CPU with the 1156 socket. Because its a value/mainstream market, 16x/16x isn't possible. If you want to do that, you need to go up to the 1366.

As Emperus claimed this isn't horrible. You need really fast video cards to fill the 8x lanes that 1156 provides. I wouldn't worry about it to much.

somerandomguy2

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2009
I really wanted to go the 1366 route but it just bumps the cost up too much because of the jump in MB, CPU, and RAM cost unfortunately. Thanks for the info and clarification. Interested in at what video card the dual 8x speeds begin to be a problem. Will have to do some research. I was actually seriously looking at that MSI board, will take another hard look at it.

Thanks again.

Edit: best answer to first posted. Thanks to both.

Status
Not open for further replies.