No room to plug in USB Card Reader Module

Status
Not open for further replies.

sentry1

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2010
I have a system built on the Rampage III Extreme motherboard. My case has a front panel connector with 2 USB ports, which is connected to the USB header on the motherboard.

I also received a multi-card reader unit with the new computer that is designed to use the same USB header that my front panel connectors use.

Right now, the priority is the two front USB ports, since I'm always swapping data onto USB drives for school.

Buuuuut I might have some use for the card reader once the holiday picture taking rush starts. I don't want to have to open the case and swap cables anytime I need to read a SD card.

Is there any way I can have the card reader working, without giving up my two front panel connectors?

notsonoobPCguy

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2010
This might sound kinda crazy but if you can have both plugged in at the same time you could just run the card reader outside of the case :3 and have the cables go through like a fan hole or something. But leave the USBs inside of course.

sentry1

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2010
@notsonoobpcg: The issue wasn't physical space, but a spot on the motherboard to plug the card reader in. Twoboxer got what I was saying.

Now I have to see if there's a PCIx version of that card, since my SLI set up blocks my only available PCI slot.

Status
Not open for further replies.