Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Please Advice Sli or new card

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
February 28, 2010 4:48:52 PM

Hello every one and thanks for checking my question

I have a quad core Q8200 pc 2.33ghz with a Gigabyte motherboard GA-G31M-S2C Motherboard
I Have 4 GB of RAM and an nvidia Geforce 7300LE VGA card
The OS is Windows 7 X64
I recently installed mass effect 2, and the performance is not satisfactory.

Could anyone advice if it is better to get another card and make SLI or getting a newer card is better

Also if i am getting a newer card what should i look for in the card.

I am not looking for an expensive solution. A moderate solution could be preffered.

Sorry for the trouble, and, thank you for the effort

I dont know if this is mentioned in the forum, but i could not find it so i posted


Thanks again

More about : advice sli card

a b U Graphics card
February 28, 2010 5:01:06 PM

I would't put an SLI in that PC cause the CPU ( it also doesn't OC's very well ) I would advise a ati 5770 or a single nVidia GTX260 core 216

happy gpu hunting:) 
a c 177 U Graphics card
February 28, 2010 6:02:57 PM

Exactly which PC is it? The 7300LE was widely used by OEMs like Dell and they use several sizes of case and the smaller 'slimline' cases will not accept a full sized card, also, their power supplies tend to be weak (specs please).
The safest option would be a HD4670, currently the fastest card available that does not need an extra power lead, and can be found in low profile format if needed.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
February 28, 2010 7:22:03 PM

coozie7 said:
Exactly which PC is it? The 7300LE was widely used by OEMs like Dell and they use several sizes of case and the smaller 'slimline' cases will not accept a full sized card, also, their power supplies tend to be weak (specs please).
The safest option would be a HD4670, currently the fastest card available that does not need an extra power lead, and can be found in low profile format if needed.


Mmm, correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't the HD5670 the fastest gpu without the power connector?
Or, even better there is the GT240 - more powerful than a HD4670, yet it draws less power and doesn't require a extra power connector.

March 1, 2010 2:36:21 AM

unknown_13 said:
I would't put an SLI in that PC cause the CPU ( it also doesn't OC's very well ) I would advise a ati 5770 or a single nVidia GTX260 core 216

happy gpu hunting:) 


Thanks for the Reply

but, i didnt understand what is the problem with the CPU ( in summery you wouldnt advice an sli option)

March 1, 2010 2:37:17 AM

coozie7 said:
Exactly which PC is it? The 7300LE was widely used by OEMs like Dell and they use several sizes of case and the smaller 'slimline' cases will not accept a full sized card, also, their power supplies tend to be weak (specs please).
The safest option would be a HD4670, currently the fastest card available that does not need an extra power lead, and can be found in low profile format if needed.


Thanks for the advice

The PC is assembled by me, it is not a branded one
March 1, 2010 2:39:59 AM

Also i dont think power is a problem, i could change the power supply if required
a b U Graphics card
March 1, 2010 7:35:14 AM

Well, first off, that mobo doesn't support SLI (it has only one PCI-e x16 slot)
If you want to do a hybrid sli, you must own an mobo with GeForce chipset with an onboard gpu

As for the Q8200, it's a good cpu but it's crimped by a low 2.33GHz stock frequency.
If you wanna do SLI you must OC that cpu to get the full power of the GPU's.
and to do that, you MUST have a REALLY good mobo with an P35/P45 chipstets that can stand very high FSB because Q8200's have a low multi (x7)

Also can you check what exactly PSU are you using?

a c 177 U Graphics card
March 1, 2010 11:42:34 AM

@ Unknown_13: Oops, me bad:(  Yes, I meant the HD5670.
@ Nicefellow: Just covering the bases, mate, as I said the 7300LE was widely used by OEMs.
Have a look here, the benchies will give you a good idea as to how each card is likely to perform at each resolution:

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Sapphire/HD_5570/6.h...

None of the cards in those benchmarks should need more than one 6-pin PCI-E connector but the HD4670, 4770 and 4830 are all getting hard to find. There are 'low power' versions of the 9800GT, but they are not quite as fast as the one benchmarked here, expect the same as the HD5670, give or take a little.
Overclocking will release a fair bit of extra CPU performance but read up on the subject-Why not visit our helpful Overclocking Forum to begin with?
March 2, 2010 7:18:27 AM

unknown_13 said:
Well, first off, that mobo doesn't support SLI (it has only one PCI-e x16 slot)
If you want to do a hybrid sli, you must own an mobo with GeForce chipset with an onboard gpu

As for the Q8200, it's a good cpu but it's crimped by a low 2.33GHz stock frequency.
If you wanna do SLI you must OC that cpu to get the full power of the GPU's.
and to do that, you MUST have a REALLY good mobo with an P35/P45 chipstets that can stand very high FSB because Q8200's have a low multi (x7)

Also can you check what exactly PSU are you using?


Thank you very much for your explanation, i really didnt look into it this way when i bought the system, but your info helps for future purchases, or maybe i will change the CPU if required

Than ks again
a c 376 U Graphics card
March 2, 2010 7:33:53 AM

You don't need to replace the CPU. If your motherboard is a Gigabyte like you say it should allow you to overclock. You can probably get that processor up to 3.0 ghz easily and then it will be just fine to pair with a card like an HD5770.
a b U Graphics card
March 2, 2010 8:23:58 AM

^+1

DON'T replace that CPU. It's great, it just needs to be OC'ed because it has a low stock speed (I have a Q8200:D  )

If your mobo can stand the high fsb, then OC it to 2.6 or 2.8 and like jyjjy said pair it with a solid card like the hd5770 or some other gpu, depending on your budget
March 4, 2010 2:51:43 AM

Again i have to thank you for such good advices, i will try to OC the cpu and i went and got the 5770 i just installed and made a clean windows installation. Man what a diffrence in performance. When UNKNOWN_13 said happy gpu hunting, i was saying it wont be that problem, i will just see what is my requirment and buy it easy job. BUT when you start checking the cards and the benchmarks and... then you really need good luck hunting especially wen the price diffrence is not very big, then you start pushing your limit a bit higer ... then you get an expensive card :) 

anyway thank you guys so much you advice was a big help wish you all the best
March 4, 2010 2:56:47 AM

buy the way i have not done overclocking and the game graphics looks very smooth i am playing mass effect 2 now.

will let you know what happens after OC the CPU if there is any diffrence.

:)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :) 
a c 376 U Graphics card
March 4, 2010 8:29:56 AM

Yeah, you will only see the difference on especially cpu intensive games.
!