Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Unsupported ddr3-1600 on GA-X58A-UD3R (rev. 2.0)

Last response: in Motherboards
November 10, 2010 5:58:09 AM

i got so focused on ram i bought ddr3-1600 corsair. it is not listed as supported for my board on the gigabyte site. in fact it looks like none of the lga1366 socket boards support it.

now the first 6 gigs (3 slots) ran fine and tested fine with memtest86. the second 6 gigs failed. i was in the process of sending the defective ram back when i noticed it's not supported by gigabyte. btw i have checked with the manual and everything is in the right slot.

here are a few questions maybe you can help me with.

should i return it all and get one of the supported speeds?

would the fact that the ram is unsupported effect memtest86? maybe that second 6 gigs is fine.

the mobo is also rated for 1.5v ram same as the jedec standard. should i stick to 1.5 or is 1.65 fine? just wonder because a lot of the lower cas ram is 1.65.

thx for any guidance. i expected gigabyte to have more about this in the manual (where it says go to the site!) or at the site where it has a very bare bones page on specs. i also noticed intel only has some slower ram speeds listed as supported for my chip. i7-950.

so whats the deal? are these specs meaningless? i would have to get ddr3-1066 to comply with chip and mobo specs.

a c 136 V Motherboard
November 10, 2010 8:11:16 AM

Well,there are many RAM's that aren't in the QVL list but will work fine.But it's recommended to look at the QVL list first before buying a RAM.
What's the exact model of your current RAM ?
Score
Related resources
November 10, 2010 3:44:11 PM

the ram is: Model CMX6GX3M3C1600C7
i was looking for the qvl at gigabytes site yesterday. missed it. but now see that it's easy to find. i guess i didn't expect it to be in downloads.
well, my ram is not on there. only one model of consair is listed for ddr3-1600 and i can't find that on the consair site. they only list CMX12GX3M3A2000C9 for i7 processors.

so what do you think? return the ram and get something off the qvl? crucial has a tool to help with motherboard compatability. just found it.

now, i just read a post:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/265432-30-best-memory...
one thing it says is that qvls aren't that relevant. they are old, based on free ram sent to engineers, and sometimes have errors. i was surprised to see the list only contained a small number of some of the big ram manufacturers.

also says the intel mem speed specs don't really matter.

by that thinking i should just keep my tested good ram and exchange the bad stuff.

i'm so very confused.
Score
a c 717 V Motherboard
November 10, 2010 4:05:12 PM

I am a little foggy, so please 100% clarify - Are ALL 6 sticks EXACTLY the CMX6GX3M3C1600C7?? IF NOT then please RE-LIST -- what RAM is in what slot?

You can use Tested RAM, the QVL is often outdated and/or VERY incomplete. Also, NEVER EVER use XMP setting in the BIOS - EVER! Simply set your RAM, assuming BCLK 133.33 -> Memory Multiplier = 12 ; you 'should' also set ALL of your CAS Timings manually CMX6GX3M3C1600C7 -> 7-8-7-20-2T and DRAM Voltage = 1.65V.

Corsair Tested = http://www.corsair.com/configurator/product_results.asp...

footnote: DO NOT MIX MATCHED SETS; Set1 = 1/3/5; Set2 = 2/4/6.
Score
November 10, 2010 4:45:00 PM

yes all 6 sticks are exactly the same ram Model CMX6GX3M3C1600C7. i have placed them according to the manual. but i don't think that makes a difference if all slots are used. right now i have all the white slots filled per manual.

i ran memtest86 with 12gigs. it failed...don't know which tests. i suspected the new ram. i removed it. then retested. ram tested good.

what i am doing not is swapping the "bad ram" in for the good ram and running memtest86 again. i'm thinking maybe this has to do with the way my board is handling 12gigs of ram. maybe the ram isn't bad.

jaquith, you are more advance then me. this is my first build...i've read a lot...but still get confused. i will be setting bios settings for ram for the first time! but i will follow your guide and my manual and see.

do you think the last 6 gigs could have failed because the voltage or some other bios setting wasn't right? these are 1.65v modules. won't my bios default to 1.5?

thx.
Score
a c 717 V Motherboard
November 10, 2010 5:43:48 PM

I suspect you're using XMP, turn it off {Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P.) = Disabled}!

Also, again DO NOT mix sets.

For now, 1. shutdown the PC, 2. install ALL 6 sticks {not mixing sets} making certain that the RAM is properly seated, 3. Boot into BIOS {Delete key}, 4. Load Optimized, 5. Save & Exit = Yes.

Insert the Memtest86+ CD/DVD and boot the test, run 2 passes.

Memory, especially Corsair, has an operational ±0.3V so it will work. I have 1 of the UD3R MOBO after returning 9 of them for ASUS P6X58D-E; kept 1 for Hackintosh rig.

Footnote: IF you mixed-up the matched-sets then the S/N or other variations should reveal the sets.
Score
November 10, 2010 6:08:07 PM

jaquith said:
I suspect you're using XMP, turn it off {Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P.) = Disabled}!

the manual says the default is disabled. i haven't changed it. that's for sure. but bio has a few presets....like optimized and fail-safe defaults. i might be in optimized. i will check when memtest finishes.
Quote:

ok, got it. i'm a bit slow. you are saying not to mix the ram from either package even thought the ram is the exact same model. don't think i have. but i will check serials as you say.

Quote:
For now, 1. shutdown the PC, 2. install ALL 6 sticks {not mixing sets} making certain that the RAM is properly seated, 3. Boot into BIOS {Delete key}, 4. Load Optimized, 5. Save & Exit = Yes.

will try and let you know.
Quote:

Memory, especially Corsair, has an operational ±0.3V so it will work. I have 1 of the UD3R MOBO after returning 9 of them for ASUS P6X58D-E; kept 1 for Hackintosh rig.

so you aren't a fan of the board. i saw a lot of negatives on newegg. but then again that was the same as the asus stuff. i am using it for a DAW. some daw builders are also using it. hope mine is a good one.

Score
a c 717 V Motherboard
November 10, 2010 6:36:52 PM

Fan No, disappointed Yes. It will not SSD + RAID HDD; it's is very well documented, unfortunately I was one of the first to discover it with {rev 2}. I do like it's BIOS, the more manual and settings the better, and I do not like BIOS to do the math for me RAM, OC, etc.

Corsair RAM sets are hand matched into sets, and I've seen too many times where OP ass-u-ming it won't matter to mix them up - it does. I read the "removal" in your post and I'm trying to be cautious.

In addition, REMOVE/UNINSTALL ALL Gigabyte Utilities {except the On/Off USB Charge} - they ALL cause problems -- unfortunately well documented.

Your RAM may or may not be the issue, and for example:
Good RAM + Bad BIOS = Fail Memtest
Good RAM + Mixed Sets = Fail Memtest
Good RAM + Wrong DIMM Slots = Fail Memtest
Good RAM + Poor seated/connections DIMM Slots = Fail Memtest
Good RAM + MOBO problem = Fail Memtest

Next, IF there's a Failure then:

Set1 1/3/5 Memtest
Set2 1/3/5 Memtest

If both PASS as single set then problem probably is the MOBO. However, to know 100% the RAM will need to be set manually in the BIOS; especially the DRAM Voltage. The UD3R has poor phase power to the DIMM slots and the DRAM voltage should be set correctly to 1.65v. Also, the sometimes a slight increase of qpi/vtt voltage...
Score
November 10, 2010 7:08:41 PM

1938648,9,388864 said:

In addition, REMOVE/UNINSTALL ALL Gigabyte Utilities {except the On/Off USB Charge} - they ALL cause problems -- unfortunately well documented.

man, i was suspicious of those. the install was strange. my screen got all garbled one time. the next time the screen went blank and system froze. this is my second install of windows. the next time i will wait for the mobo drivers to install from cd and see what actually happened. last time the installation cd went ahead and installed some utilities.

did a google search and couldn't find anything conclusive about gigabyte utilities causing trouble. where you getting this good information?

it seems like such a bad idea to ship hardware with software that will complicate things.

btw, the second set/package of ram tested good. 1/3/5 slots. didn't run memtest twice on either set of ram yet.
[/quote]
Score
a c 717 V Motherboard
November 10, 2010 7:24:15 PM

Google -> problems +gigabyte +utilities +2010

Also, ONLY use the NEW drivers that are available at GA site, and not the old buggy drivers on the CD e.g. {rev 2} http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3...

Bottom-line - you do not want ANY BIOS evasive software from ANY MOBO company, ASUS aren't much better. About the only Utility of that type I recommend is the MSI Afterburner to OC GPUs.
Score
a c 177 V Motherboard
November 10, 2010 8:08:39 PM

YHPM
cporro said:
the manual says the default is disabled. i haven't changed it. that's for sure. but bio has a few presets....like optimized and fail-safe defaults. i might be in optimized. i will check when memtest finishes.
Quote:

ok, got it. i'm a bit slow. you are saying not to mix the ram from either package even thought the ram is the exact same model. don't think i have. but i will check serials as you say.

Quote:

will try and let you know.
Quote:

so you aren't a fan of the board. i saw a lot of negatives on newegg. but then again that was the same as the asus stuff. i am using it for a DAW. some daw builders are also using it. hope mine is a good one.

Score
November 12, 2010 6:56:41 PM

here is where i am:

1) checked to make sure ram sets are mixed. i had to eye-ball the bar codes.
2) reinstalled windows.
3) found recent mobo drivers and installed. chipset, lan.
4) updated to new bios. FC is out now. FC did not fix the legacy usb issue people have been having. i still needed to get an adapter for my keyboard to enter MIT menu in bios!
5) running memtest again on 12gigs. both sets have tested good in 1-3-5 slots.
6) bios is in optimized defaults. no xmp.
7) i have not set bios setting for this ram specifically. memtest sees it as 1066 speed, cas 8-8-8-20. Actually it is 1600 cas 7-8-7-20.

if this memtest fails i will manually enter values. or try to! and retest.
Score
November 12, 2010 7:01:45 PM

oh here is something interesting. i contacted gigabyte several days ago. they got back to me last night. basically i said i had problems with their mobo install cd. i did. it seemed to auto install utilities after the drivers. That should be an opt in if you ask me. then if froze my machine up once and garbled the screen the second time. here is what they said.

"Windows 7 should already provide all default drivers for this board, under device manager are there any yellow marks?
All you would need to update would be the display driver off ati website."

really? cause i sure didn't seem to have a lan driver. and wouldn't all the windows drivers be generic and maybe not work that well or be that fast?
Score

Best solution

a c 717 V Motherboard
November 12, 2010 7:19:49 PM

If you want your RAM to run at the rated speed of 1600 MHz, then yes you'll need to set the Memory Multiplier to 12, Set all CAS to 7-8-7-20-2T, and Set DRAM Voltage to 1.65V.

Again, do NOT use any of the GA Utilities except USB ON/OFF; assuming you want your USB powered 7/24.

Drivers {assuming rev 2 and Win 7 x64}:
1. Realtek Function driver for Realtek Azalia audio chip
2. Intel INF installation
3. Realtek LAN Driver
4. Intel SATA RAID Driver
5. GIGABYTE SATA2 Driver
6. Marvell Console Driver (SATA3)
7. NEC USB 3.0 Driver

You don't want ANY drivers with (?) or (!).
November 13, 2010 9:07:03 PM

good news.

i was reading all the issues people were having with bios FB. thats the one that came with my board. as i was reading this they updated to FC.

i put back the second set of ram. made sure both sides were seated. after that i went through all the ram and pushed on each side. some of them moved a bit. so i wonder if they actually needed another little push even though the clips were all fully up.

i then flashed bios in the bios....using qflash.

then i ran memtest86 v4 (for 64 bit system with lots of ram). it passes all tests 2 times. i then ran Mersenne Prime Test (same as prime95?) this was from the ultimate boot cd. ran for 16 hrs no errors and at the end on reboot went into bios...cpu temp <40 C.

so i don't know what to think. was it swapping ram sets? seating them better? updating bios?

system SEEMS to be healthy and stable. now i will try manually configuring ram settings in bios.
Score
November 13, 2010 9:07:25 PM

Best answer selected by cporro.
Score
a c 136 V Motherboard
November 14, 2010 12:37:24 PM

This topic has been closed by Maziar
Score
!