Install Ram on P6X58D premium

bnapoleon

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2010
Hi All,

OK I have read quite a bit about this problem and can't seem to work it out.

I have Kingston Hyper X KHX2000c94d3t ram for 6 GB on a P6X58D premium.

Bios is only picking up 4GB of it. I have narrowed it down to B1 dimm not working. A1 works alone and A1 and C1 work together. I have used all ram in A1 and all work. I have looked at the Motherboard for possible shorting and can't seem to see any.

I have a I7 960 with a Thermaltake Frio HSF on it. The bracket on the back of the motherboard seems fine.

Although I don't play around in bios too much, I changed the AI overclock to XMP and got 4gb still. read about changing the CAS thing to 9-9-9-24. Did nothing. I read about also changing the QPI/Dram to 1.4. Nothing again.

I am out of suggestions. Could it be a faulty board?

Help would be appreciated.

Cheers

suat

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
You should run CPU-Z and see how much RAM you have there.

Make sure you have the RAM sticks installed in A1, B1 and C1 and seated properly all the way down.

If you switch slots for the RAM sticks, does the RAM stick in slot B1 always not show up ?

Playing with DRAM timings does not help as the problem is not timing-related.

By the way, what is your OS ? and the bit count, x86 or x64 ?

bnapoleon

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2010
By the way, what is your OS ? and the bit count, x86 or x64 ?
Windows 7 64bit

Make sure you have the RAM sticks installed in A1, B1 and C1 and seated properly all the way down.
Done

If you switch slots for the RAM sticks, does the RAM stick in slot B1 always not show up ?
What I have done is used all 3 sticks in A1 and all worked. Did A1 and B1, only 2gb showed in bios, A1 and C1 showed 4gb. I am assuming B1 is the problem.

You should run CPU-Z and see how much RAM you have there.
Downloaded. in the General it says DDR3, with size 6144MB. I am assuming it is picking up all 3 ram sticks. In the SPD tab, slot 2 is showing up as there with a different serial number to the others. Man that is a programme full of info..

suat

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
So cpu-z shows you have three sticks of RAM with sizes 2 GB each. 6144 MB total.

Also check if cpu-z is telling you that you have triple-channel operation of RAM modules. If not, move the stick of RAM from B1 into B2 slot and see what this gives you.

anyquist

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2010

Hi bnapolean,

Are you sure your ram is supported by Asus I cannot see it on their website. The x58 boards are very picky about the ram as I know to my cost.

bnapoleon

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2010

The guy at the shop says it works a treat. There is a YouTube vid with a guy installing it on the motherboard and oc the ram as well. So I am assuming it is OK.

suat

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
If your RAM was not supported, then none of it would be recognized.

You should increase IMC voltage slightly to see if this will make the recognition of your B1 RAM.

I remember some people corrected the situation by reseating their CPUs in their sockets. They found some bent/uncontacting pins under the CPUs.

anyquist

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2010

Hi again, I can only quote from my personal experience and you face the same problem I did.

If you look at 2.4.2 in the manual it says

"due to intel spec definition XMP DIMMs and DDR3-1600 are supported for one DIMM per channel only" I changed the memory to exactly as approved and the problem was resolved. Although my memeory was not approved it was recogniesed and worked in the same way you have indicated.

I am not saying my view is correct only reporting my experience.