Sign in with
Your question

Do Quad Core CPUs need an 8-pin cpu power connector?

Last response: in CPUs
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
May 21, 2010 11:52:32 PM

Hello, I am in the process of building my second computer and am running into some problems. Im using an AMD Athlon II X4 620 2.6GHz CPU and a GIGABYTE GA-MA78LM-S2H micro ATX mother board. First, I made the mistake of not using the brass screws under the MB to keep it from shorting. The first time I turned the computer on it fired up and went to the bios screen. 10 seconds later it turned off. After that nothing would work, the monitor just said 'no signal'. So, thinking the mobo was fried, I bought a new one. Now when I turn it on the fans all spin but I am getting no beep and no monitor signal using the onboard video card. So my question is: The power supply I have comes equipped with two of the 4-pin connectors to power the cpu. But my mobo only has a spot for one of them. Could this be my problem? Do quad core cpu need an eight-pin? If so do I need to get a new mobo again? Thanks for any help you can give.
a b à CPUs
May 22, 2010 2:09:53 AM

No they don't. Your problem lies elsewhere.
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 22, 2010 2:32:26 AM

Quote:
Hello, I am in the process of building my second computer and am running into some problems. Im using an AMD Athlon II X4 620 2.6GHz CPU and a GIGABYTE GA-MA78LM-S2H micro ATX mother board. First, I made the mistake of not using the brass screws under the MB to keep it from shorting. The first time I turned the computer on it fired up and went to the bios screen. 10 seconds later it turned off. After that nothing would work, the monitor just said 'no signal'. So, thinking the mobo was fried, I bought a new one. Now when I turn it on the fans all spin but I am getting no beep and no monitor signal using the onboard video card. So my question is: The power supply I have comes equipped with two of the 4-pin connectors to power the cpu. But my mobo only has a spot for one of them. Could this be my problem? Do quad core cpu need an eight-pin? If so do I need to get a new mobo again? Thanks for any help you can give.

No, it doesn't. A 4PIN motherboard can handle any CPU within its TDP limit.
Have you connected the 24PIN power connector to the motherboard too?
m
l
!