Sign in with
Your question

Need help choosing a mobo

Last response: in Motherboards
November 10, 2010 8:31:30 AM

Hey all!
Need some help finding a mobo for my purposes.
I want a Mobo that supports DDR3, supports AMD Phenom II quad core atleast, and fits well into a high tower (like this one) and it should be good in some way for gaming.
I have a budget of about 100-200£ need help to find a well fitting one.
Thanks in advance!

More about : choosing mobo

a b V Motherboard
November 10, 2010 9:35:18 AM

More details are required.

Do you need IGP? Are you going to be crossfiring? Sata 6Gb/s and USB 3?

November 10, 2010 9:47:56 AM

Wolygon said:
More details are required.

Do you need IGP? Are you going to be crossfiring? Sata 6Gb/s and USB 3?

Im not going to be crossfiring, sata 6 Gb/s would be nice. USB 3 is not really needed, got USB 2 and its working good.
Not 100% of what IGP is, so explain about it ;) 
Related resources
November 10, 2010 2:20:10 PM

IGP = Integrated Graphics Processor or more commonly: Onboard Graphics/Video/GPU/what-have-you
November 10, 2010 2:29:10 PM

My suggestions :
ASRock 870 Extreme3
ASUS M4A87TD EVO
Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3
November 10, 2010 2:39:40 PM

kaosnkorruption said:
IGP = Integrated Graphics Processor or more commonly: Onboard Graphics/Video/GPU/what-have-you

Ah ok. No i dont need IGP then. Im about to buy a new graphic card so that wont be a problem, thanks for the help there ;p
November 10, 2010 2:44:35 PM

You defenitely don't want to rely just on IGP unless you're only playing very old or very simple games.
IGP simply doesn't have the horsepower to run modern graphically intensive games at decent framerates.
November 10, 2010 5:59:27 PM

IGP definitely isn't useful for modern gaming, but is nice to have to fall back on in the event your video card craps out.
a c 715 V Motherboard
November 10, 2010 6:13:00 PM

I tend to think ahead:

If you're purchasing an nVida GPU then ASUS M4N98TD EVO. 87£
If you're purchasing an ATI{AMD} GPU then ASUS Crosshair IV Extreme. 180£

Cheaper ATI GPU ASUS Crosshair IV Formula. 131£

Good Luck! :) 

a b V Motherboard
November 11, 2010 4:12:05 AM

I would suggest an 880G board.

jaquith, he does not want to do multi GPUs so why go for the nVidia chipset if getting a nVidia card? Also why get such a high end 890FX board? Even if the OP wanted to CF an 890GX would be fine, but he doesn't so whats wrong with an 880G?

@OP
I'm not sure where your buying from though I would just look for an 880G board from ASUS or Gigabyte with SATA 6Gb/s, you shouldn't really be able to stuff up.
November 11, 2010 9:38:56 AM

Thanks for all the help guys.
Im going to buy the ASUS Crosshair IV Formula AMD890FX.
Just going to wait for christmas and hope for some lower prices ;) 
a b V Motherboard
November 11, 2010 9:49:03 AM

I think that would be a bad idea.

The 890FX is made for people who want to CF more then 2 cards, you are not in this boat and thus it is a waste of money. Your not even in the 2 CF boat which would be an 890GX.

You will save a lot of money by finding an 880G board instead. You will see NO more performance with the crosshair, so why get it?

Also, wait till christmas??? Thats ages away. If your waiting that long you might aswell just wait for Sandy Bridge to come out next year....
a c 715 V Motherboard
November 11, 2010 11:02:05 AM

Comment "I tend to think ahead:" meant just that, 1 GPU today --- +1 GPU tomorrow. Future proof the MOBO; the Crosshair series is a very good scalable and offer excellent power {phases} to OC CPU + RAM.

Merry Christmas! :bounce: 
November 11, 2010 5:09:29 PM

Thanks guys for all the different suggestions afterwards.
But when i saw the mobo i thought like, hey! maybe ill one day want to crossfire.... so why not buy a mobo that supports it quite well. ;)  but why im waiting for christmas is simple ;p its cheaper! im going to buy several items, so ill wait for the nice christmas prices.
Thanks ALL!
a b V Motherboard
November 12, 2010 12:11:51 AM

Even if you were talking about another GPU the 890GX is fine. Is the OP looking to run LN2 and enter professional benchmarking competitions? You cannot say that you need a high end board to do a nice OC on air, the cooler will limit way before the board.

Though I notice theres no convincing the OP so I give up. Bad choice though in my opinion.
!