The demo was very good, but doesn't it seem that Thief 3 isn't quite as
spooky as the older ones and more "first person shooter" style? Maybe it's
just because I've played the demo once, but this worries me. What are your
thoughts?

Sammer wrote:

> The demo was very good, but doesn't it seem that Thief 3 isn't quite as
> spooky as the older ones and more "first person shooter" style? Maybe it's
> just because I've played the demo once, but this worries me. What are your
> thoughts?

Even though I was hesitant about playing in Third Person view, I spent most
of the time in it.
As far as the spooky part, The Cradle level is pretty interesting. I wish
more time was spent on the roof tops (Thieves Highway), but only found a good
spot once and it only referenced it once.
Albert

"Sammer" <mycomputerisfixed@iam.happynow> wrote in message
> The demo was very good, but doesn't it seem that Thief 3 isn't quite as
> spooky as the older ones and more "first person shooter" style?

Well it has been dumbed down for the consoles...

"Sammer" <mycomputerisfixed@iam.happynow> kirjoitti viestissä
> The demo was very good, but doesn't it seem that Thief 3 isn't quite as
> spooky as the older ones and more "first person shooter" style? Maybe
it's
> just because I've played the demo once, but this worries me. What are
your
> thoughts?

There's plenty of good ol' taffin' about in Thief: DS. I thought the mood
was somewhat different than in TDP or TMA, but not necessarily any worse;
just slightly different. That's to be expected, though, because the engine
is completely different, and this is after all a new game. It's still a
first-class sneaker and not a first person shooter, so don't worry about
that. Nothing forces you into combat; you can always sneak and hide, sit
still and observe, look and listen, vail yourself in the shadows. It's
Thief, no question about it.

As to the spookiness, I'd say it delivers. One mission in particular is
downright nerve-racking, and the scariest gaming experience I've ever had in
my life. I honestly wasn't sure I was going to be able to play through it.
It got to me, but good.

Thief: Deadly Shadows has its faults, but in my opinion they're limited to
the loading zones, which I thought had a nearly devastating impact on the
immersiveness of the game, and to the lack of the rope arrow. I can even
live with the loot glint, and of course now there're tweakers available to
get rid of the glint and to do several other things, like changing the frob
glow, removing arrow tracer effects, changing the AI awareness parameters to
your liking (even going above the Expert, if you like), changing the UI
graphics to less intrusive style etc., etc.

It's an excellent game, even with its faults. You should definitely not
miss it.

- Mika L

"Di Farker" <diannefarker@ntlworld.com> wrote in message

> "Sammer" <mycomputerisfixed@iam.happynow> wrote in message
> > The demo was very good, but doesn't it seem that Thief 3 isn't quite as
> > spooky as the older ones and more "first person shooter" style?
>
> Well it has been dumbed down for the consoles...

Thief 1&2 - designed to be played slap bang in front of your monitor
ThiefDS - designed to be played at about 8 feet away.

Yeah, its still a *good* game... But when it could have been a *classic* it
is an opportunity missed.

"Sammer" <mycomputerisfixed@iam.happynow> writes:

> The demo was very good, but doesn't it seem that Thief 3 isn't quite as
> spooky as the older ones and more "first person shooter" style? Maybe it's
> just because I've played the demo once, but this worries me. What are your
> thoughts?

OK, lets say you just played a Thief 1 demo, Lord Bafford's Manor.
Would you say it was "spooky"? No, not at all. It's just a level to
get you into the game, learn how to taff, etc. The same applies to
Thief 3, since its demo mission is the equivalent of Bafford's.

There are some spooky bits in T3, but not as much as in T1. It's more
like T2 in that respect. But that's ok, since the spookiest area in
T3 gave me many more creeps than the cathedral ever did in T1.

I'm not sure what you mean by "first person shooter style". There's
nothing in the demo mission that resembles a shooter.

--
Darin Johnson
"Floyd here now!"

"Di Farker" <diannefarker@ntlworld.com> writes:

> Well it has been dumbed down for the consoles...

I haven't run across anything that I would consider "dumbed down."
The missions being split into two loadable areas is slightly annoying,
but I don't categorize that as dumbing down. Lack of rope arrows
is a bit sad, but that was a technical issue as I recall.

On the other hand, it _added_ to T1/T2 with the addition of the city
areas between missions, which includes side quests and mini missions.

--
Darin Johnson
"You used to be big."

"Di Farker" <diannefarker@ntlworld.com> wrote in message

> "Sammer" <mycomputerisfixed@iam.happynow> wrote in message
> > The demo was very good, but doesn't it seem that Thief 3 isn't quite as
> > spooky as the older ones and more "first person shooter" style?
>
> Well it has been dumbed down for the consoles...

I played Thief 3 on Xbox, and I didn't notice any dumbing down,
particularly. Yes the game was a bit different, but that happens doesn't
it. There were some very spooky moments IMO.

Mary

On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 08:45:16 +0300 Mika Latokartano said :

>glow, removing arrow tracer effects, changing the AI awareness parameters to
>your liking (even going above the Expert, if you like), changing the UI
>graphics to less intrusive style etc., etc.
>
>It's an excellent game, even with its faults. You should definitely not
>miss it.
>
>- Mika L

I only started looking for cheats yesterday. Found a non working one.
(yawn)

No rope arrows? bummer. didnt know about that yet.

I bought T3 because I bought the other two also.

I forget which one it is but either T1 or T2. One of them I have a alternate
game file for it that if you walk up to something living like a guard
(dont remember zombies if it worked or not) you could press the compass
and it would emit poison gas)

That sure was fun when you were through the game a few times and just wanted
to abuse things. Sure was handy for putting out torches too. HA !

I think in T2 where there was a pool(was it it T2? in the mansion) if you
didnt mind some humor you could after awhile lure some guards to follow you
and if you were lucky they would fall in to the pool. Walk around under
water for a bit then choke and fall down. No they didnt float like the
boxes you could toss in there too but. it was a lark...

Geneve

--
"If confused why this or that is going on."
"I suggest you go to http://www.timdoc.com"