Sign in with
Your question

Having trouble with mounting fans

Last response: in Systems
March 13, 2010 10:37:01 PM

As you can see, I can't orient this Venomous X heatsink in the normal direction because the top exhaust fan is in the way. So I'm facing it towards the top exhaust instead of the back exhaust. Which way should the fan I am mounting be blowing?

More about : trouble mounting fans

a b B Homebuilt system
March 13, 2010 11:51:09 PM

I'd personally put it on the lower side of the heatsink, pushing air through the fins towards the top fan. Nice HSF by the way :) 
m
l
March 13, 2010 11:54:24 PM

Thanks Jack, its very sharp, therefore its name haha. Yeah I can only mount it on the lower side, there's not enough clearance on the top. I meant this. Do I attach it the first way facing outward, or the second? The first, with the words, is where the motor is.

m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
March 14, 2010 12:02:54 AM

Text facing out, so it pulls air through the heat sink and out the exhaust. The other way you are working against the exhaust fan.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
March 14, 2010 12:09:43 AM

Oh, I get it. Just plug it in and power your PC on. I have two CoolerMaster fans for exhaust right now that had to be mounted backwards, because they're designed for radiators.
m
l
a c 122 B Homebuilt system
March 14, 2010 12:14:46 AM

Somewhere on the body of the fan, you should see an arrow indicating direction of air flow. The label generally indicates the exhaust side of the fan.
m
l
!