Solved

Better Heatsink or Water Cooling for OC?

I want to overclock my i5 3570k to 4.4GHz from its 3.4GHz default.

The processor with default speed @ 3.4 it runs around 80 C when I use prime95 to max it out, but when I set it to 4.4 It runs at about 95+ C max load.

I only have $75 right now and this is all my money I have after I spent it on getting my new computer, so nothing to expensive.

The heatsink I have on now is the one that came with the processor, and I want to either get a new one that will keep my processor under 80 C while running at 4.4GHz or some water cooling. I got plenty of space and 4 case fans for a bulky heatsink and room for water cooling. Also, I live near compusa now known as tigerdirect so if you can, recommend something from there.

Final thing is that, is it even worth it to get a new source of cooling. I usually monitor my temps and other specs on my other monitor if i'm playing games or other stuff, so I know if something starts getting hot I stop it.
4 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about better heatsink water cooling
  1. Water cooling could be either Closed loop or custom. Corsair H100i is very good for a closed loop system. Or you can buy a proper Air cooler. (Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo)
  2. Best answer
    well prime 95 is an extreme. whats in run at in your most demanding application. if its under 70c there i would delay till you can get a great cooler. better to buy it once than buy one now and want a better one later.

but if your not planning more excessive overclocks then any of these will do.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100008008%20600036012&IsNodeId=1&name=Liquid%20Cooling%20System&Order=PRICE
  3. Best answer selected by Crazy Steeve.
Ask a new question

Read More

Heatsinks Water Cooling Processors Overclocking Product