Turn off HDD fan

Monart

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
How could the HDD fan be turned off? It's plugged onto the motherboard and is easily unplugged, but this causes a message at bootup and about fan failure, along with periodic messages later about cooling device failure. The BIOS doesn't offer any settings to turn off the fan or the messages.

I've just replaced a 3.5" HDD with a 2.5" HDD, which runs cooler and doesn't need the fan, so it would be quieter without the fan. This is in a Small Form Factor Dell Optiplex 755. Thanks for your help.

Monart

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
Thanks for your efforts, but, they're no help. As I wrote, it's the HDD fan (attached to the frame that holds the drive) that I want to turn off -- not the CPU fan or the power supply fan. The fan for the HDD is connected directly by wire to pins on the motherboard. And, I obviously already know that I can stop the messages if I keep the fan plugged in.

Any other suggestions?

Monart

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012

Thanks, but the fan I'm talking about is solely for the HDD; it's attached to the underside of the frame to which the HDD is mounted. Unplugging it will not affect the rear exhaust.

puckettonline

Reputable
Sep 17, 2015

or you can just get a smaller fan/cut the wire so it thinks it's connected

Dec 29, 2014
Seems nobody has offered a viable solution? Yes, this fan is solely for the hard drive and is not needed if you are upgrading to a SSD.(There are 2 more fans designated for the CPU) These are still good socket 775 machines for the average office environment or someone with limited space. Disabling this fan would eliminate one more part to maintain and also conserve energy. Unless Dell offers a Bios revision to the A22, we are stuck keeping this fan installed(if you dont mind the startup halt). The upgrade to Solid State Drives is like putting a supercharger on your car! Just Do It!

Kludger

Commendable
Apr 19, 2016
Assuming similar BIOS to Opti 745, the fan presence is registered by (tach?) signal on the yellow wire of 5-pin fan socket, per http://commweb-ps3.us.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/t/19521443 A jumper from the cpu fan yellow pin to the corresponding pin on HDD fan socket makes the bios think there's an HDD fan in place. BTW, on the 745 SFF, it looks like the HDD fan pulls air thru the NorthBridge heatsink. With SDD, low power GPU card, and the CPU fan reversed to exhaust out the front (instead of onto NorthBridge), temps and sones in the SFF are managable without the HDD fan/drive bracket.

zuruiboy

Commendable
May 7, 2016

Link has moved to: http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/t/19521443

Jun 21, 2019
HDDs do not have a fan, be it a 2 1/2 or a 3 1/2 in drive normally do not need a fan.
The case fans are need to cool your CPU, your ram, your VRs, and the GPU, and if disabled these componets can get very HOT.

Have you ever even seen the inside of any of these model Dells? Or did you have trouble reading the problem? He is talking about the fan directly under the hard disk, not the CPU fans. If you don't have any useful info to help this problem then don't comment.

TRENDING THREADS