Sign in with
Your question

Improper display (on my HDTV) before Windows boots up

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 28, 2010 9:03:20 PM

I use my HDTV as my computer display. It is hooked up to my graphics card by a DVI-HDMI cable.

When building a new system (with graphics card carried over), I found that the pre-windows bootup display is at an improper resoution so that some of the POST text goes off-screen. This is a minor matter.

Another problem is that this system is configured to be dual-boot, but the boot selection screen doesn't really show up. I mean that it is actually present, only I can't see it (black screen). I am able to press the arrow key and boot to whichever OS I wan't, but it would be nice to be able to see the choices. I suspect this has something to do with the pre-bootup display signal and maybe the DVI/HDMI cable. Can anyone help solve?

Once it enters windows, the display is fine.
February 28, 2010 10:56:58 PM

When you use HDMI or component video, you will never be able to see the boot up screens. The display will become active only once windows starts.

If you have a vga or dvi port on the tv, if you hook it to the computer, then you will see everything...downside is sound will not be carried...there are trade offs.
m
l
March 1, 2010 1:01:36 AM

Hmm.. will need to check if I have VGA port. I doubt it. I don't need to carry audio signal, as I route that separately from the mobo to the AVR. It's just that I like the HDMI - neat, compact, easy.

Another thing: why is it that I see the POST messages, the 'press key to continue' sort of thing, and the other BIOS related messages? The only thing that I don't see is what's between this and the Windows logo screen, ie., the dual-boot option screen. Earlier, when I had a single boot system (hooked up between the same graphics card and the same TV by the same DVI/HDMI cable), I never noticed that I missed any screen output.
m
l
Related resources
March 2, 2010 12:35:20 AM

The post messages is a puzzler...on my units, when I use hdmi, I don't see anything until the desktop.

if you have two monitors, the messages may be going to the other one.
m
l
March 8, 2010 11:46:57 PM

It's just the one monitor, but no big deal, I'll just let it be.
m
l
!