Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Which is better, mushkin enhanced chronos or ocz vertex 3 (or 4)

Last response: in Storage
April 6, 2012 5:19:40 PM

I want to buy a 120gb ssd and a lot of people say that the vertex 3 is best, but the mushkin chronos has better stats. Also, the vertex 3 has more 400 more points on http://harddrivebenchmark.net/high_end_drives.html (although the deluxe versioon is better than the vertex 3). Why is this, and which is better?
a c 99 G Storage
April 6, 2012 5:37:50 PM

They both use the same SandForce 2281 controller, but I think that Mushkin uses Toggle NAND, which is the best, which is what's in the OCZ Vertex 3 MaxIOPS models.

It that is true, Mushkin is the better buy. Yet, I have Vertex 3's.
m
l
Related resources
a c 290 G Storage
April 7, 2012 12:01:00 AM

stuffstuff - The answer to your question is complicated. A lot depends on what you intend to do with your computer. Is it for gaming, business applications, professional work, or scientific use? Also, what brand and model motherboard do you have. Not all motherboards handle ssd's the same way.
m
l
April 7, 2012 1:25:07 AM

I'm going to use the computer for gaming mostly. I'm probably going to get an asus z75 motherboard, one similar to the p8p67.
m
l
April 11, 2012 9:40:19 PM

Ok, I did some research and, they are exactly the same price/performance ratio, and the vertex 3 is faster by about 15%.
m
l
a c 353 G Storage
April 11, 2012 9:46:49 PM

Real life, probably will not see a nickels worth of diff between the two.
m
l

Best solution

a c 290 G Storage
April 11, 2012 10:58:13 PM

I agree with Retired Chief. For gaming it will not make a difference. It would have been different if you indicated you were doing 3D modeling or rocket science.

Don't get hung on synthetic benchmarks. There is a reason they are called synthetic. They are not real. Most benchmarks were designed to grossly exaggerate the very minor differences between ssd's. At best they are only a very very rough approximation of real world usage. You would be better off looking at real world performance analysis.
a c 353 G Storage
April 12, 2012 5:47:18 PM

^ Thought that was the reason they bought Indilinx, so they could have a controller that they did not have to pay royalties.

Good info Johnny!!!
m
l
April 14, 2012 1:45:04 AM

the vertex 4 is more expensive and it doesn't seem as good as the vertex 3, so it looks like ocz are wasting their money. If I was going to spend that much money on an ssd, I would buy the patriot wildfire. I'm going to go with the mushkin enhanced chronos 120gb, since that's the cheapest at $119.99 right now.
m
l
April 14, 2012 2:19:49 AM

Best answer selected by stuffstuff.
m
l
April 14, 2012 2:21:31 AM

thank you JohnnyLucky and RetiredChief for explaining that synthetic benchmarks don't matter. I will try to find some real world benchmarks, although it doesn't seem like there are very many.
m
l
!