cctaylor88

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2010
I haven't "burned" a CD for such a long time that I absolutely forget how or if I can even do it... I have this as my CD drive. I simply want to burn music (download songs, make them into CDs) onto a CD that I can play in my car etc. I have windows XP

1. Is the drive I have capable of simply burning audio files so that I may play a CD? If so, it also states that it is a "DVD Burner" is this true?
2. Please suggest a good program to simply create and burn CDs? I will utilize torrents for music files, and would like turn these downloads into music for my car.
3. Am I able to burn DVDs? I would assume with the current drive I have HD DVD burns won't be possible?

Remember: I have extremely limited knowledge/know how on burning CDs or DVDs so everything is foreign to me.

Thanks in advance!

cl-scott

Honorable
The drive lists CD-R and CD-RW, so it does CD burning. When DVD burners were brand new, you might find some that were only DVD burners, no CD support, but these days it's pretty much always the case where it's both.

Moving along, probably the best thing to do, would be to get a program such as CDBurnerXP and just use that. It basically will let you create a "Music CD" project, convert the files to the format expected by CD players, and then take care of the actual burning.

Now, CDs and DVDs look the same, but they are completely different as far as a player is concerned. If your car only supports CDs, then a DVD will not work. It will fail to read the DVD should you attempt it anyway.

cctaylor88

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2010
Okay, and also...my car has a six disc cd player...so it will say artist-track title...I want this to work when I place a cd in my car..I don't want it reading the typical "track 1, track 2" etc...is this possible? LIke with windows media player if I manually enter an artist name/track title will it show up no matter what I type?

cl-scott

Honorable

Not with a standard music CD. That makes it sound like the stereo supports playing MP3 files off of a CD, in which case you don't need any special software beyond what Windows has built in. You just throw a bunch of MP3 files onto the disc, burn it, done. It's just a data disc with MP3 files on it. The stereo will then read the embedded ID3 info to fill that info out. Probably will want to double check on the MP3 function though. You should see an MP3 logo somewhere, but if in doubt, consult the owner's manual. I know, I know, real men don't read manuals, but I won't say anything as long as you send $500 to the Scott Billings Personal Wellness Fund. :D Seriously though, it's that or burn a disc and see what happens.

Just have to burn with CD text. All the good commercial mastering software (Nero, Roxio, etc.) support it.

cl-scott

Honorable

I stand corrected then. My car supports MP3s, so I basically stopped caring about more traditional CDs for use with my car, and associated topics. :p