Sign in with
Your question

AM3, 5770, 890GX build advice

Last response: in Systems
March 14, 2010 1:34:43 AM

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Within the next two weeks

BUDGET RANGE: $600-700 USD Before Rebates lower is always appreciated though.

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Recording, Photoshop, Gaming (COX, GTA 4, Battlefield Bad Company 2,),Internet general use.

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Keyboard, Mouse, Speakers, DVD Burner(reused, SATA), Audio - M-Audio Delta 44(reused) OS - Win7 Pro 64 bit(new), PSU - OCZ StealthXStream OCZ600SXS 600W(new), HDD - Western Digital Caviar Black 500GB(new), Monitor - Hanns G, res-1024x768(reused), Case - Cooler Master 690 II Advance(new),

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: newegg.com

COUNTRYOF ORIGIN: US

PARTS PREFERENCES: CPU (AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE 125W )
MOBO (GIGABYTE GA-890GPA-UD3H AM3)
GPU (XFX HD-577A-ZNFC Radeon HD 5770)
Memory (G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL7D-4GBRH)

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe later (not too interested, but not against)

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Maybe later

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1024x768 now, will likely upgrade to 22” and 1680 x 1050 sometime within the year.

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I plan on dual booting a separate hard drive with Win XP (32 bit; any problems?)for my recording apps, at least until I know Win7 will run all or most.
Win7 will be the main and for basic use (web surfing, e-mail, online video, word processing, etc…) and gaming (GTA 4, City of Heroes, Battlefield Bad Company 2)

I’m basically wanting to see if everyone thinks these components will work nicely together with a minimum of fuss. I've read and searched in the forums here and elsewhere, but would like advice/comments on my proposed use/build. I’ve gone round and round about the Memory in particular. Any links or resources that could help educate me on memory would be appreciated. I don't just want to know what memory to buy (not that I won't take suggestions, and appreciate them), I would like to understand what makes one preferable to another. That way I can make informed decisions on comparable stuff that might pop up in combos and deals and stuff and help others that are looking to build soon (I know my Brother -in-law and mom will probably want new builds soon). You know, latency, DDR3 and why voltage is important. Any suggestions on the GPU are appreciated also. I’ve waffled between this one and the 5750(both XFX). I’m planning on keeping everything stock for right now, but I will think about overclocking eventually.

Any and all help is appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
March 14, 2010 3:07:00 AM

You want the 5770 for a 16x10 monitor, for sure.
I couldn't find a single issue anywhere.
March 14, 2010 3:31:38 AM

Cool, thanks. How about memory? All the recommendations I've seen say get CAS Latency and Timing as low as possible and most seem to agree with 7 and something like 7-7-7-21. Everyone also seems to really like G Skill.
Related resources
March 14, 2010 3:39:27 AM

Sorry the answer was so short, but I reviewed absolutely everything, including the parts you already have. The memory, like everything else, is good to excellent.

-The OCZ might be slightly on the light side if you add a second 5770, but you could manage it for a bit.... but of course you would only need that after getting a much larger monitor.
March 14, 2010 3:59:36 AM

No problem with short answers. Thanks for answering at all!
I had originally planned to upgrade and add a second card with my current build, a 939 with a single core AMD Athlon 64 3500+ and GeForce 6200 but I never got around to it. I haven't played many games, and what I have all ran fine, until I got a copy of GTA4 which I haven't even tried to install it was so far out of spec. I didn't realize it but this build is closing in on 5 years old! It's done really well I think. I'd like to get the same kind of life out of this new build also.

Based on my experiences and looking at GPU's and what's on the horizon, I'll probably never add another card for Crossfire. If anything, I might upgrade the card, but Gamings not my top priority. Thanks again!
March 16, 2010 4:54:41 PM

Technically, higher frequency is faster given the same latencies. However, the timings are not identical in those two examples, and the 1333 could well prove faster. Latency (timings) is more important than frequency. Neither is very important really, just small gains that are mostly only noticeable in synthetic benchmarks.

Your processor doesn't really like 1600Mhz RAM anyway. The controller, built in to the CPU, doesn't officially support anything higher than 1333.

And finally the 1333 will run cooler as it's 1.5V.
March 16, 2010 6:29:03 PM

Thanks, that was the clarification I was looking for!
!