Urgent Build, Please Look.

DigitalKitsune

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2008
Well, the story is a mix between sad and pitiful. I have a friend who's working on about a 10+ year old computer to game with. Considering I recently rebuilt mine, I decided to use the old parts, fill in the blanks and upgrade here and there to put together a modest PC for him. Where it all falls apart is I didn't seem to pay as much attention, and now I sit on a few incompatible components. I am here, hoping that some souls can give me advice on the route to take, in both financially sound but at the same time not giving my friend another dinosaur. Below is a list of what I have, old and new. I thank you all in advance.

Old Parts:
- An old DVD-RW, can't recall the make as its a touch faded.
- A gigabyte N650SLI-DS4 motherboard.
- A few variations of 1gig ram, mixed bus speeds from 533 to 667 I believe.
- A 200gig Segate 7200 RPM hard drive.
- A Intel dual core at 1.8 something or another.
- A Cruiser X case that has some issues with the standoff mounting holes being stripped.
- A Corsair 650w modular PSU.

New Parts (What I tried to boost my friend to):
- A Q9300 quad core at 2.5ghz.
- 2x2gig of Gskill DDR2 800 ram.
- New heatsink for the processor.
- An Antec Illusion 300 case.

If wished, I can get links up for the items or try. The main goal here is to build something or retrofit something budget wise, but I don't want him to carry another ball and chain for 10 plus years. Something modest and usable in today's standards, with a little more expandability in the future. Someone had posted a combo with biostar motherboard using I believe the 785 chipset and a phenom x3, but I'm unusre myself. I don't want to necessarily buy bad pieces, even on a budget.

DigitalKitsune

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2008
Yeah the motherboard incompatibility is something I missread on their site. Budget... well considering most of the components already in it, the only thing I'm debating on refitting would be the motherboard, heatsink, CPU, and ram. I'm trying to shoot for under 300ish, but that depends on what newegg will allow me to do on the return. If I can return the CPU and ram without a restock fee, maybe higher. The heatsink was damaged either before or during transit, so that will have to be RMA'd.