Will Rampage III Gene fit Polimatech Megahalems?

laur0511

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2010
Hey guys, i'm building a new rig, mainly, if not entirely, for gaming.

My issue is this: i want to get a Polimatech Megahalems with 2x Noctua NF-P12-1300 120mm fans for my i7 960 CPU, because i'll attempt some light overclocking (only to get the ram to 1600MHz, using Intel's eXtreme Media Profiles).

My question is, will it fit on my motherboard (Rampage III Gene, in case you missed the title) without blocking the memory slots? (i need all 6 memory slots, btw) I really haven't been able to find clear enough pictures on the internet that can enlighten me, so i really hope someone here can.

Never use ANY XMP BIOS settings! Manually set your RAM. You don't need anything 'extra' to run RAM at rated speeds, just set the DRAM Freuency = {DDR3 1600 MHz} save & exit; you can also set the CAS timings and DRAM Voltage...

It will fit Polimatech Megahalems + ASUS Rampage III Gene:
b4c2a92c4594bf5536981db98c8c3c0a.jpg

6f4e360655f0dd77eacfd31e07db139e.jpg

laur0511

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2010

Regarding the RAM, is it really that simple? Set frequency to 1600, save and exit? I read it takes more overclocking knowhow than that, and i've never done any OC at all, ever; as i understood, the XMP does it for you, that's why i was thinking of using it.

And concerning the fitting of the cooler, i will be getting this kit of ram CORSAIR DOMINATOR 12GB (6 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) which have in-built radiators, and are also longer, and a bit thicker. Does the fit still stand, considering this? Or will they be blocked by the fans?

*EDIT: just checked the site where you got those photos, and the cooler in the photos is actually the prolimatech armageddon, which just BARELY fits. The full coverage is here. But it did answer my question, basically there's no way the Megahalems will fit and i need to get the Armageddon instead.

Yep, it's that OMG simple! NEVER USE XMP - EVER!!!

NO RAM is wider than the DIMM slot and the photos show clear height so that could be 6" tall and they'd fit with your listed FAN cooler. Adding the "RAM Fan" is not required w/o significant CPU OC'ing. Also, the RAM fan 'clips-on' and can be moved right or left as need; think of it as a huge 'paper clip.'

Further, if you are going to OC then I would look to the Corsair H70 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181013

The most efficient 12GB is a 3X4GB set; Hexa Channel is actually slower than Tri Channel. Unless you plan to OC the CPU >4+GHz then you do NOT need the RAM Fans.
12GB Set - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145329

Corsair Tested - http://www.corsair.com/configurator/product_results.aspx?id=1493037

BIOS {it's also a good idea to set all of the CAS timings + DRAM Voltage}; if you don't you'll loose some negligible performance.
P6X58D-E_DRAM.jpg

laur0511

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2010
Regarding the H70 cooler, this might sound stupid, but i'm quite afraid of using something that has anything to do with fluids, as one small leak can destroy your system. So that's why i was thinking of sticking to the Prolimatech Armageddon now (since Megahalems won't fit).

Either the H50 or H70 are factory sealed, and they won't leak. It's nothing like a 'real' water cooling set-up with blocks, pumps, and tubes that 'you' connect.

A RAM fan is a little redundant with a 120mm sucking air right NEXT to the RAM; the RAM Fan is needed if you're OC'ing the RAM 1600->pushed->1800 MHz or if you're gaming 6 hours straight with an SLI/CF or as I mentioned high OC of the CPU.

My pseudo Workstations use ASUS P6X58D-E | TR3X6G1600C8D | i7 930 | H50; I use the H50 because it's good at cooling and easy to clean; think about pulling-off the fans and removing the gunk off the fins...

Personally, I do not like any MOBO that has a lawnmower engine fan installed on top of it.

Results - http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/corsair-h70-liquid-cooling-radiator,2757-6.html

BTW - I use push/pull Scythe S-FLEX SFF21E excellent CFM + Low noise.

TRENDING THREADS