Sign in with
Your question

SSD performing badly at 1.0Gb/s speeds

Tags:
  • Hard Drives
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
April 6, 2012 7:28:43 PM

I have an Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe motherboard with the nForce4 SLI chipset. I purchased an OCZ Agility 3 60GB SSD and can't seem to get anything faster than 120+MB/s speed out of the thing. I have no AHCI option in bios, only IDE and RAID. I am currently running Linux Mint 12 but have also tested with Windows XP and see the same results. I also have updated the firmware and even sent the drive back to OCZ which they tested in an intel board and got the 500+ MB/s throughput, so I know it's NOT the drive.

Is there ANYTHING I can tweak in BIOS to get better performance than this??

MB link http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_Socket_939/A8N32SL...

More about : ssd performing badly 0gb speeds

a c 99 G Storage
April 6, 2012 8:35:27 PM

Try this:

Set the SATA ports to RAID, but don't set up an array. (On Intel chipsets, RAID defualt is ACHI when drives aren't in an array.)

Otherwise, it's your motherboard. Try a PCI-e card to plug the SSD into, like the Velocity Solo advertised on THG. But I have no experience with it.
m
l
a c 544 G Storage
April 6, 2012 8:51:51 PM

foscooter said:
Set the SATA ports to RAID, but don't set up an array. (On Intel chipsets, RAID defualt is ACHI when drives aren't in an array.)

Normally that would work, but since AHCI is not supported on that particular chipset it will default to IDE mode. Won't hurt to give it a try through.
m
l
April 9, 2012 3:24:43 AM

I tried to set it to RAID and no matter what setting I used it either wouldn't accept it saying I needed another drive or would but then wouldn't boot. I'm not willing to set it to RAID then reinstall the OS, nor do I really want to put in a SATA card unless it's around $20 and I know it will work.

I guess I just wait till I upgrade for the performance boost. The latency improvement is REALLY nice though, just wish I got better then like 130MB/s sustained read.

Thanks everyone for your help
m
l
!