Sign in with
Your question

Upgrading from a 7900 GTX.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 1, 2010 1:20:34 AM

It's been a while since I bought my last graphics card. At the time I had some money to burn and picked up a BFG 7900 GTX OC. It was a good card and still runs decently well but most new games are starting to give 'er a rough go. So it's upgrade time. Problem is, I don't have a ton to spend this time around and between ATI being a step ahead of nVidia I'm not really sure what lines up to what anymore for a performance/price comparison. Hopefully that's where this fine community comes in.

What I've got is the following:

• AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+
  • Asus M2N32-SLI Deluxe
  • 8GB Corsair XMS2 DHX Memory
  • Window 7 64 bit

I'd like to spend no more than $200 US. I wouldn't mind sticking with a nVidia card but from what I can tell doing that would cost me performance wise in a pretty big way.

So with the above spec's and funds, what would you recommend?
  • More about : upgrading 7900 gtx

a b U Graphics card
    March 1, 2010 1:31:39 AM

Get an ATI 5770! They are about $130 on Newegg.com. These have Direct X 11 so your hardcore future proof. You can also expand to using three monitors if you want. Great for World of Warcraft etc.!! You don't need to spend $200 to get an amazing card.
    m
    l
    March 1, 2010 1:40:58 AM

I was just going to suggest you the same thing as "multiscreenz". ATI 5750 also have Directx 11. ATi cards are very cheap but good in performance(and since you are on a budget of 200) IMO Nvidia isn't that great to me anymore.
    m
    l
    !