Memory/Driver Crashing

Solitare

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
I've no idea if this is the correct sub-forum to post in but here we go. For months now I've been dealing with an issue in which my display driver will crash, causing my screen to go black for a few seconds and killing whatever application I'm running with a display driver recovered error. I've tried pretty nearly all the software fixes I could find. Lately is has been suggested to be that the issue might be improper or low voltage on my memory. To correct it, I've been told to set the DRAM voltage to 1.65 and see if the system stabilizes and the crashing subsides. I'm running an ASUS M5A97 motherboard, and DDR3 1600 RAM. Basically, my concern lies in the safety of this. Is it safe to do? Am I going to damage my CPU or my memory controller?

Thanks for reading.

mlcaouette

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2011
My first suspicion would be the power supply, can you get the model number from the side. For now only up the ram voltage if the ram is rated for 1.65v otherwise leave it at 1.5v.

Also have you tried a clean driver install (wiping out the old drivers with driver sweeper).

Solitare

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
I've wiped my drivers multiple times. I'm currently trying older and older drivers hoping to find my sweet spot. Other than this crashing issue I've had absolutely no problems with the system that might indicate PSU failure. I'll get the RAM information and PSU model number the next time I open it up for deep cleaning (which won't be too long from now).