ECS IC780M-A2 (V1.0A) Does Nothing

excitron

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2003
I just built a system around an ECS IC780M-A2 (V1.0A) motherboard, using a six-core 2.8 gig Phenom II 1055T, Corsair XMS 8GB DDR3 ram, MSI R4350 Radeon graphics card (a test mule until I put another card in), ASUS DRW-24B1ST DVD-RW drive, Eagle ET-PSVTX550E-BK 550W PS, and an 80 gig Seagate SATA HD (also a test mule).

First time I started this I got a continuous stream of beeps (their meaning not mentioned in the documentation), then silence. I restarted and got a screen telling something to the extent of ""put a boot disk in a drive and press any key. I put a Windows CD in the DVD drive and nothing happens. I reboot again and I get the screen below, which was the most progress I made. However, it just hangs there and goes nowhere. Note that it doesn't seem to recognize the CPU (which it's supposed to, I also only have one ram stick in the system, which is why you see only 4 gigs):

nowhere.jpg

Does anyone have a clue about what's going on? I have no idea why this system isn't coming up. Thanks.

Do the beeps still occur? If so, what is the pattern (I.E. how many long and how many short)?

Boot disks can be: USB, HDD, Optical, or SSD. If the message displayed made no mention of an OS, then it is possible that an attached device could be causing your problem. For example, your first boot device may be set at HDD in BIOS, but if you have a USB storage drive attached, your BIOS could be trying to load from the USB first. If that sounds plausible, remove the USB drive.

On the other hand, if the error message did make mention of an OS not found, then the problem lies somewhere with either the HDD, either of the SATA cables (power or data), the SATA port, or a combination of the three (though, very unlikely).

excitron

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2003
Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately this thing is all over the place. I reset the BIOS to default values, and when it reboots, I just see a cursor. If I shut the power off and restart after resetting BIOS defaults, I get a continuous beeping sound. If I shut the power and restart it after that, I get the screen you see below (I switched to an IDE DVD drive, clutching for straws):

nowhere2.jpg

Other times I get two beeps (again, not in the documentation), and then either a blank screen or a blinking cursor. I add the second ram stick on the same channel, I sometimes come up with the previous screen shown earlier, other times I get a blank screen. If I add it to the second channel, I get a blank screen.

Looking at the ECS site, it lists the 1055T CPU as a 95 watt chip, but at the AMD site it's listed as a 125 watt chip. I wonder if the BIOS is not properly programmed, which is why it's not recognizing the chip. I don't see any BIOS updates available at the ECS site, however.

The problem with stuff like this is I can't really tell if it's a MB problem, CPU, ram, etc. The best I can deduct is that it may be a MB problem. This sucks.