Ready to buy, looking for final advice! AM3 budget build

xrome

Distinguished
May 4, 2008
My goal was to build the best $500 gaming capable computer possible. What i ended up carting totaled $609 shipped. Not terrible I suppose but I'm skeptical of some of these parts. If there are any major red flags please let me know before purchasing!

EDIT:
Purchased the build today. 3/15/2010

Antec 900
OCZ ModXstream 600w Modular PSU
ASUS AM3 EVO 790X
AMD Phenom II x4 955
MSI HD 5770 OC
G.Skill Ripjaws 4GB DDR3 1600
Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB HDD
ASUS CD/DVD burner

Cost after shipping, combos, rebates, and haggling with newegg customer service = $670

I chose certain parts to maximize newegg combo discounts.

Case: Antec 900 (already purchased) $85
Mobo and RAM combo (this im most concerned with...):
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.357712

ECS AM3 770
A-data DDR3 1333
$60 +$98 - $15 combo - $16 rebate = $126 total

Video Card and CPU combo:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.346055

XFX 1gb 5770
AMD PII 955 BE AM3 3.2Ghz
$155 + $160 -$15 combo = $300 total

PSU and Hard Drive combo:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.347302

OCZ ModXStream Pro 600w modular
WD Blue 500GB HDD
$75 + $56 - $20 combo - @25 rebate = $86 total

DVD drive:
ASUS Black 24X dvd cd combo drive
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827135204
$24

TOTAL: $621 + $8 shipping = $629 - $20 NE gift card = $609

What do you guys think of this build?
Im nervous about the OCZ PSU and very nervoud about the ECS board and A-data ram. Nervoud becuase I don't know any of those brands at all! This was one of the only ways I could configure my cart to get it even close to this cheap while still getting an antec 900 (already bought) a quadcore CPUand a 5770 anywhere near my original budget.

please let me know your thoughts! I'm so close to being done i feel! lol

~Rome

xrome

Distinguished
May 4, 2008
I have changed every part in this build and changed the budget, so i did not feel resurrecting my thread from pages back with inaccurate posts was a good idea.

Anyways, any and all comments will be appreciated as usual!

xrome

Distinguished
May 4, 2008
Expectant parents?

Yes I'd prefer a Corsair 650hx, Gskill ripjaws and a gigabyte mobo. But then i'm looking at $750 instead of $610. I really want whatever build I get to last for her, is saving $100 now going to really hurt me in 2 years time?

No one has any problems with OCZ PSU, ECS MoBo or A-Data RAM?

Alvin Smith

Distinguished
Those are actually all premium components. I'm not much of a sports fan but this situation reminds me of picking a pro football team. Just because you don't get *THE* highest rated draft pick for each position (or even any). You can still go to the Superbowl if you pick great talent and put it together right.

I think you have done that, here ... and saved a bundle. Seriously, what's not to like and, I'm just guessing that a lot more folks (some several beeter techs than I ) have already read this thread and not commented. That is actually a good sign.

Folks around here (it would seem) do not put much stock in user reviews but, if there are 80 reviews and the vast majority are satisfied, then woopee.

Conversely ... If 20 out of 100 are screaming about the same issue, there is probably something to that.

I can tell you that those are all good companies and that I do not know of any "reputation issues" that would keep me from buying any of them, as an alternative component (if the "worlds very best" is out of stock, for instance) ...

... I am not going to read all the reviews of every component for YOUR system .... But I certainly will, for MY OWN system . . . Just for fun, if no other reason.

So, if no other techs have any "logically substantive" detractions (and I might defer, if they did), then I'll say ... It all looks "better than just good".

Cute?? ... I just was trying to put your mind at ease because you seemed very anxious and (I think) without any obvious cause. But expectant parents fear the worst until they count all those fingers and toes. That's all I meant ... I meant to trivialize your worry and fear . . . but not YOU.

Just put it all together and leave it running for 30 days (in a closet, if you like) and that may help to force any possible pending failures while within return limits.

That's all I got and other's opinions would be more helpul (perhaps) at this point than for me to explain what *I* think, again.

I said "It all looks good .... take delivery". That is my opinion, with the only caveat being "do any homework that you can (reviews, awards, web-searches, forums, ratings and rankings). Looks like that is exactly what you are doing.

2 years down the road ?? Let me get my crystal ball ... YIKES !!! ... From what I can see, we're going to be more worried about the electricity to make it go !!

= Alvin =

xrome

Distinguished
May 4, 2008
Purchased the build today.

Antec 900
OCZ ModXstream 600w Modular PSU
ASUS AM3 EVO 790X
AMD Phenom II x4 955
MSI HD 5770 OC
G.Skill Ripjaws 4GB DDR3 1600
Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB HDD
ASUS CD/DVD burner

Cost after shipping, combos, rebates, and haggling with newegg customer service = $670