Moving Win7 onto SSD; want to keep existing XP intact (also on SSD)

mattz63

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2011
Hi,

For stability / application continuity reasons, when I built my computer 1.5 years ago I went with XP Home on an SSD. It's great. Boot times in a blink, even 18 months later.

I knew I would eventually want to learn and migrate to Windows 7. That has pretty much happened now. My WEI is pretty low, just because of the hard drive I installed it on--I have Windows 7 64 Ultimate installed on a partition of my 1TB data drive. The poor drive has like 4 partitions. That was probably ill-advised.

Anyway, I want to:

Partition the SSD, keeping the XP install intact
Move my Windows 7 installation to the SSD on the new partition.

Any advice on how to proceed?

mattz63

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2011
Thank you for the quick response--I was just going to add that I do have Seagate Disc Tools (basically a dumbed down Acronis) and I wanted to clone the Win7 partition and go get it on the SSD. It was setting up a boot partition on the SSD that worried me (and setting it up correctly-TRIM/AHCI concerns and such).

I have Windows 7 set up just how I want it. and I don't want to go through a fresh install, if I can help it. This I should have mentioned. I do have the install disc, BTW.

if you dont want to go through the fresh install then partition it and clone it

does sea tools also do partitioning?

never used it though i do use acronis

is your bios already set to ahci?

if not it will cause your xp problems and may even blue screen it if you change the bios to ahci--though there are work arounds to change to ahci when windows xp is already installed by editing the registry

trim should be automatic on windows 7 though not on xp

most importantly back up any important stuff from the xp installation just in case

mattz63

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2011
It looks like I'll have a problem cloning: the partition on the SSD will be smaller than the original, which appears to be a no-no in almost all cloning software (including the Windows Restore option). I should just bite the bullet and do a fresh install. Oh well.

But just to check, I can partition the SSD that currently has XP on it without losing the data and boot ability? (I will backup like crazy, of course.) I also understand that a quick format is what should be used for formatting the new SSD partition.

I will check / read up on my AHCI status and workarounds for XP.

Thank you!