Time to Upgrade (A few questions)

ryankn852

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
Hey guys how everyone been. So I've decided it's time to upgrade. First of all I do plan on water cooling but I wanna get a new or another GPU and a new modular PSU as this one has too many wires and dont need and is gonna take way too long to sleeve.

So first question about the GPU. Should I get another GTX 260 and go SLI or should I get a new 480? I have not really found anything that compares this. But I figure that's cause it is not out yet?

Next question. I was looking at PSUs, the two sites I generally order from are FrozenCPU and Newegg. The PSUs were quite different. Can anyone suggest a good modular PSU. Preferably 850+, something like 1000w I guess?

Heres a pic or two also. I've got red,yellow,green LEDs to switch out for the fans yet, but I'm waiting on a friend to help me with the soldering. And a lot of cable sleeving to be done but I'd really rather a new PSU. Too bad the Red UV sata cable is kinda pink/purpleish. And yea I know the cable management is bad, I have plans for it, I'm always open to suggestions though.

IMG_6897.jpg

IMG_6908.jpg

Thanks guyss

ryankn852

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
Is my signature not showing up?

Thanks obsidian. So are basically all the high wattage antec PSUs ok? In general Antec has been a good company to me. Antec has the 1k and 1.2k w continuous power supplys which I was looking at. I'm pretty sure though when I was building this computer somewhere on this forum had something to say about why not to get Antec, unless it was the price at the time?

The CP-850 is the best PSU buy there is.....nothing else even comes close on a price / performance ratio. Setting price aside, it's almost unmatched acoustically and electrically, I'd say only the Antec Signature and Seasonic X and MD12 series can pass it by a small margin performance wise

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story4&reid=142

It is completely unmatched by any ATX unit on the market I can think of. You'd have to spend twice as much as this thing costs to find the next best thing, performance wise. I'd like to see some better capacitors in there, but you just can't fault the CP-850's performance here.

I don't know how Antec managed something this awesome for such a low price, but they must really want the CPX form factor taking off if this is the performance we're getting.

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article971-page7.html

The Antec CP-850 is a superlative power supply by almost any standard. Its electrical performance is up at the level of its more expensive brethren, the Signature 650 and 850, and Seasonic's flagship, the M12D-850: Voltage regulation is extremely tight for all the lines at all loads, and the ripple noise is amazingly low.

The noise performance is excellent, with the <400W performance matching or bettering virtually every PSU tested thus far. Above 500W load in our heat box, the noise level goes over 40 dBA@1m, or about the norm for PSUs rated this high. It has the virtue keeping itself extremely cool, however, cooler than any other PSU we've tested at such high loads.

A serious consideration is that in each of the three compatible Antec cases, the CP-850 mounts on the bottom, and the intake for the PSU is quite separate from the rest of the system. In the P193 and P183, the PSU is in an entirely separate thermal chamber, and in the model 1200, a direct path can be maintained to the directly opposite, wide-open front vent. This means that our extreme hot box test conditions never apply to the CP-850; in other words, SPCR's test environment is unrealistically hot for the CP-850. Our atypical spot check with a room ambient thermal test showed the CP-850 would reach only 24 dBA@1m at 700W load in a 27°C working environment. This is ridiculously quiet for such high power output.

For the quiet-seeking computer gaming enthusiast, the CP-850 (along with any of the three compatible cases) is something of a godsend. Fantastically stable power, super low noise at any power load, long expected reliability due to excellent cooling, modular cabling, and all at a price that's no higher than many high end 6~700W models.

As for the GPU, I usually find it very hard to recommend the 260 in recent months. When the 5770 came out, it was very easy to recommend the 260 or 4870 over the 5770 because of the 10% speed advantage they had over the 5770.....the 5770 climbed in price and it took the 260 along with and well past it. The 5770 is back down to near $155 levels but the 260 is still at $215 making it a hard recommendation.

However, in your case, a 2nd 260 in SLI would certainly be more effective than any other option despite the current price premium on the 260. Alternately, if you are interested oin DX11 gaming, I'd suggest a 5850 / 5870 (or waiting for a 470/480) and keeping the 260 as a dedicated PhysX card.