Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Need to buy a cooler?

Last response: in Overclocking
Share
January 16, 2013 2:03:57 AM

im going to build a new desktop with these specs:
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/xQfk

will i need a cpu cooler if i dont overclock?

More about : buy cooler

a b K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
January 16, 2013 2:10:25 AM

It's generally a bad idea to run a computer with no cpu cooler at all :) , but the stock cooler that comes with the cpu is usually sufficient if you don't overclock. Personally, I like to have a cpu cooler with a more secure mounting mechanism, but that's up to you.
a b K Overclocking
a c 91 à CPUs
January 16, 2013 2:15:44 AM

Nope, the stock cooler will work fine. That being said, I'd look at the 3470 - the tiny clock speed won't be noticeable at all, and it's some savings.

Other than that, everything looks good!

(*Oh, but do yourself a HUGE favor and don't buy a sidewinder. So called "gaming keyboards" are a rip-off: you're paying for the flash and the lights. There are two types of keyboards: $20 ones that work perfectly well, along with bling-ed up $70 versions of them, which should never be bought, and $100 mechanical keyboards, which are heaven on earth. If you're going to spend for a keyboard, get one you'll be happy with - otherwise don't waste the money on a $14 keyboard with $5 of lights and $40 of profit due to the word "gaming.")

... sorry. Bit of a pet peeve of mine. Can you tell? :p 
Related resources
January 16, 2013 2:16:06 AM

is the performance difference worth the price of upgrading to 3570k and buying a new cooler?

well, can u recommend any keyboard thats not too expensive but has decent quality? something around the same price as the sidewinder would be nice
a b K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
January 16, 2013 2:17:20 AM

if you're not going to OC, stock cooler will do.

while we're on topic of OCing, consider grabbing a B75/H77 motherboard instead. Z68/Z77 are for OCing, and you save up rather considerably avoiding them.

also, that 0.2ghz difference between the 3570 & 3470 isn't going to have a large effect in performance, so consider saving up $30-40 with the latter.
January 16, 2013 2:17:22 AM

stock cooling is sufficient if you don't overclock... but if you want aftermarket cooler for even lower temps, i'd recommend the cm hyper 212 evo about $35.
January 16, 2013 2:40:24 AM

Hazle said:
if you're not going to OC, stock cooler will do.

while we're on topic of OCing, consider grabbing a B75/H77 motherboard instead. Z68/Z77 are for OCing, and you save up rather considerably avoiding them.

also, that 0.2ghz difference between the 3570 & 3470 isn't going to have a large effect in performance, so consider saving up $30-40 with the latter.

idk, im kinda scared of buying an ASRock motherboard after reading a couple reviews about it
heres my setup if i decided to overclock (ignore the keyboard, trying to find a better one atm):
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/xQKc
i would need to dish out another $130, is the difference in performance by overclocking worth it?
a b K Overclocking
a c 179 à CPUs
January 16, 2013 3:18:34 AM

asrock was started up by asus and asus was posted online that they like to buy the company and make there mb part of asus low cost line up. every mb maker makes a bad board and it get out of there qa testing. when were talking about 2000-3000 mb there are going to be a few doa in the lot. toms hardware does a lot of round up with a lot of mb and the asrock mb have tested well in the roundup.
January 16, 2013 3:41:00 AM

HubbaBubba56 said:
im going to build a new desktop with these specs:
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/xQfk

will i need a cpu cooler if i dont overclock?


no you wont need to buy a cpu cooler. one already comes with that processor and it will be good enough for it. if you decide to overclock u will need something better
a b K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
January 16, 2013 4:31:05 AM

HubbaBubba56 said:
idk, im kinda scared of buying an ASRock motherboard after reading a couple reviews about it
heres my setup if i decided to overclock (ignore the keyboard, trying to find a better one atm):
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/xQKc
i would need to dish out another $130, is the difference in performance by overclocking worth it?


as smorizio said, when motherboards sells by the hundreds, it's not at all weird that you get several defective ones. it happens to Asus, & Gigabyte just as it happens to Asrock.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

4 stars out of 577 reviews is a pretty good rating. it also holds the best rating per no. of reviews ratio. i remember in 2011 Asrock's Z68 boards being a massive best seller.

plus, they're not the only ones carying B75/H77 boards;
http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/motherboard/#m=7,8,14,18,...

listed mATX as a choice, as i assume, based on the PSU that this will be a single card build. either way, even the most expensive ATX H77 is a more considerate choice over a z68 for a non-OC build.

as for performance while OCing; depends on the game. some games, like Skyrim, benefit from it. others, like BF3, don't. OCing also more or less help postpone the dateline for a new cpu upgrade if you choose to OC much later on. so when that 3570K starts feeling sluggish in, say 4 years, OC it to give you a few months, maybe a year, for you to save up for an upgrade, if not an overhaul. whether that's worth $130 to you is up to you.
a b K Overclocking
a c 179 à CPUs
January 16, 2013 6:02:50 AM

hazel but right now both amd and intel like to kill off there mb sockets every year to 18 months. amd killed off the fm-1 mb line and now has fm-2 cpu. intel haswell not going to use the same pin outs as ib. so your better off picking up a new cpu and mb 3-4 years from now.
January 16, 2013 11:58:29 PM

ok guys, thx for all the responses, ive decided to get the 3570k cuz ill probably wanna OC, last thing need now is an alright keyboard (doesnt ahve to be gaming) for under $50, can anyone recommend one?
January 17, 2013 10:40:43 PM

there is one gaming keyboard that i find worthy, and that is the steelseries/ideazon merc stealth.

http://steelseries.com/products/keyboards/steelseries-m...

i game with my left hand on the special WASD section and wouldn't have it any other way. i like the backlit keys but that isn't the main draw for me. the only annoyance is that the number keypad has the 0 in a different place and you don't have a full-time delete key, but you get used to it.
January 17, 2013 11:02:44 PM

idiotekniques said:
there is one gaming keyboard that i find worthy, and that is the steelseries/ideazon merc stealth.

http://steelseries.com/products/keyboards/steelseries-m...

i game with my left hand on the special WASD section and wouldn't have it any other way. i like the backlit keys but that isn't the main draw for me. the only annoyance is that the number keypad has the 0 in a different place and you don't have a full-time delete key, but you get used to it.

that keyboard looks really nice but is there a similar one that doesnt have all those keys on the far left lol? i dont really like it
!