Sign in with
Your question

Can mounting a motherboard without standoff screws ruin the board?

Last response: in Systems
March 14, 2010 7:25:49 AM

I installed the motherboard without standoff screws and tried to power it a few times with the RAM in different positions because it wouldn't POST. I later saw this checklist thread on here and realized that I had not put the standoff screws in:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-read-postin...

Can this ruin the board to the point where it won't POST even if you fix it and put the standoff screws in? This can cause a short but can it completely ruin the board?
March 14, 2010 7:34:52 AM

Yes, there is great potential that the mobo can be fried when every trace on it is shorted by contact with the chassis and then you apply power ...

... BUT ... Unless you smelled funny smells or heard popping or crackling then there is a fair chance that it will be OK.

... Given your lack of experience, I would suggest you follow EVERY SINGLE STEP of that trouble thread ... IT IS GOLD !!

It would also help if you know someone who has built and will supervise and help troubleshoot.

Don't give up just yet ! Do everything on that trouble list.

Take notes (serious ... write everything you do down) and do not skip ANY steps or make any assumptions (which is what got you into trouble).

= Alvin =

PS: Feel free to ask questions as you go along .... be very clear and concise or nobody will answer up.

March 14, 2010 8:32:47 AM

Alvin Smith said:
Yes, there is great potential that the mobo can be fried when every trace on it is shorted by contact with the chassis and then you apply power ...

... BUT ... Unless you smelled funny smells or heard popping or crackling then there is a fair chance that it will be OK.

... Given your lack of experience, I would suggest you follow EVERY SINGLE STEP of that trouble thread ... IT IS GOLD !!

It would also help if you know someone who has built and will supervise and help troubleshoot.

Don't give up just yet ! Do everything on that trouble list.

Take notes (serious ... write everything you do down) and do not skip ANY steps or make any assumptions (which is what got you into trouble).

= Alvin =

PS: Feel free to ask questions as you go along .... be very clear and concise or nobody will answer up.

Well here's the thing, everything else is designed so that it's damn near impossible to install wrong.

1. The CPU will not fit in the wrong way, the arrows line up
2. When the RAM is seated properly the clips pop into place
3. Everything is labeled well and all the plugs are made to only go in ONE way.

So everything else is fine with my build. The memory is compatible and approved via the ASUS Manual. It's the right chipset for the MOBO because is says specifically...designed for AM3 socket. A lot of retailers even pair my CPU and Board together (ASUS M4A78T-E and AMD Phenom II X4 Black Edition) and I have a ULTRA 600W PSU. So all the components should be just fine. I even exchanged the MOBO & CPU once already. I checked and checked and checked all the connections. I just can't get it to post.

Could it be a Power supply issue? I have two sticks of RAM and I tried one at a time in each time (I did this for both incase one stick is bad). But I can't get this thing to POST, no beeps nothing, I tried different monitors too.

So does that mean I damaged my board? I heard nothing bad, I side was open and I was right there I would know if something happened, no smells, no smoke, just runs quiet but won't POST... :cry: 
Related resources
March 14, 2010 8:45:09 AM

Did you hook up the mobo speaker ??
March 14, 2010 8:46:31 AM

*** UPDATE

I ran the board outside of the case, just incase there was some dumb mistake I was making (wire behind board, a short somewhere somehow)

Still nothing! No beeps, no POST, fan starts, Green LED on board lights up. I think the board is fine, these things seem pretty resilient to stupidity.

Could it be the power Supply? Is there a chance there is something wrong with teh RAM? I tried each stick in each DIMM one at a time, so if one was bad at least it would read the other one.
March 14, 2010 8:48:52 AM

I don't think your mobo spkr is hooked up correctly
March 14, 2010 8:50:23 AM

some mobos use LEDs (lights) to send codes ... What does your mobo manual say about error codes ... There should be a table that describes beeps (or lights) codes.

= Alvin =
March 14, 2010 8:51:56 AM

Alvin Smith said:
Did you hook up the mobo speaker ??

Yes I did, the case comes with the speaker and the ASUS board has a special connector for the following:

IDE LED + (plugged in "HDD LED")
IDE LED -

PWR (plugged in "POWER SW")
GROUND

RESET
GROUND (plugged in "RESET SW")

SPEAKER (plugged in "SPEAKER")
GROUND
GROUND
+5V

PLED - (plugged in "PLED -")
PLED + (plugged in "PLED +")

So that is all plugged in the right way, I'm 99% sure.

March 14, 2010 8:55:57 AM

Alvin Smith said:
some mobos use LEDs (lights) to send codes ... What does your mobo manual say about error codes ... There should be a table that describes beeps (or lights) codes.

= Alvin =

Yes in the section "Starting up for the first time" it describes the BEEP codes, does not mention anything about LEDs

Please help me, I'll post a video or pictures later so everyone here can help more easily. This is killing me, I should have been playing COD4 and Crysis by now.

March 14, 2010 9:00:32 AM

Alvin Smith said:
I don't think your mobo spkr is hooked up correctly

where it says speaker I plugged in the speaker wire, with the word "SPEAKER" showing, if you turn it around it also fits but that doesn't seem right.

There are two wires that make it up a BLACK wire and RED wire. If you plug it in with the word speaker facing out (which would make sense) then your BLACK wire would be the +5V and your RED wire would be "SPEAKER"
March 14, 2010 9:20:53 AM

Red = HOT = +5v (but I doubt it matters ... just "phase")

Is your GPU in the slot ?
March 14, 2010 9:43:41 AM

Alvin Smith said:

I didn't buy the graphics card yet.

The VGA cable is plugged into the VGA outlet, it's on board grahpics, I tried two monitors already. Still nothing.

Is it possible the board is ruined? I didn't smell or hear anything, I was 1ft away from it watching it the whole time because I want to make sure the fan spins.

Bad BIOS??? in other words send it back to ASUS? But shouldn't it at least beep!?!?!?!?!
March 14, 2010 9:45:54 AM

Alvin Smith said:

Also if the red wire is hot that means I have it in wrong, but then the writing would be facing the inside and not be visible. I'll post a picture in a few mins.

What happens if I switch it and it's wrong, coudl it damage something?
March 14, 2010 9:49:02 AM

Do not bother with photos ... they do not help.

Never mind about the speaker ... should work either way.

You did NOT answer my questions ... ONE more chance.
March 14, 2010 9:52:12 AM

alright ... I just read about the gpu

... You need to post your config (esp mobo .. CPU .. ram .. PSU)

= Alvin =

March 14, 2010 10:09:10 AM

IDE LED + (plugged in "HDD LED")
IDE LED -

PWR (plugged in "POWER SW")
GROUND

RESET
GROUND (plugged in "RESET SW")

SPEAKER (plugged in "SPEAKER")
GROUND
GROUND
+5V

PLED - (plugged in "PLED -")
PLED + (plugged in "PLED +")
March 14, 2010 10:18:06 AM

Alvin Smith said:
alright ... I just read about the gpu

... You need to post your config (esp mobo .. CPU .. ram .. PSU)

= Alvin =

ASUS M4A78T-E http://www.compusa.com/applications/searchtools/item-De...
AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition http://www.compusa.com/applications/searchtools/item-De...
Corsair CM3X 1024-1333C9(2 x 1024) http://www.compusa.com/applications/searchtools/item-De...
ULTRA LS 600W ATX PSU http://www.compusa.com/applications/searchtools/item-De...
Hitachi Deskstar 1TB SATA HDD 7200RPM 32MB Cache http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-de...
ULTRA X Blaster Mid-Tower PC Case http://www.compusa.com/applications/searchtools/item-De...

That is all that's in the system nothing else. Except the screws and
March 14, 2010 10:36:42 AM

So ... the PSU fan spins and keeps spinning when the power is on ??

March 14, 2010 11:30:34 AM

************UPDATE

************SOLVED

Solution:

CPU had no power. Why? Because I didn't plug in the cable. I thought the 24pin connector gave the CPU power as well. Newb mistake. I also read this in the trouble-shooting thread and when it said connect the 4/8 PIN connector I assumed I had already done that because the PSU has a 24 pin connector but 4 pins are separate.

Here is the thread. Do not assume you understand everything in it. Ask questions if you don't.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-read-postin...
March 14, 2010 11:34:41 AM

Alvin Smith said:
So ... the PSU fan spins and keeps spinning when the power is on ??

Thanks for helping out, I think you could sense that I was desperate. When you get all excited about your new components and it doesn't work out you feel so bad that you want to give up. Thanks for saying "don't give up yet" in your post!! :D 
March 14, 2010 3:05:48 PM

We used to play frisbee with brand new motherboards, in the PC LAB and laughing our butts off ... We also used to submerse sticky KBs in water (run them under warm faucet) and take them home and put them on the top rack of a 200 degree oven, with the door cracked open ... saved a few ... lost a few.

... decent mobos tend to have pretty strong innate capacitence. I *have* done really stupid stuff like that ... just not lately. NEVER SAY DIE ! (till you try everything in ShortStuff's Sticky ! ... VER-BATIM ! ).

= YAY !!! =

I *was" getting impatient, a little, because that document WILL SOLVE (or isolate the prob to a single component) ... Thats like 100 man-years of TS experience, there. I cannot improve upon it. I've been at this since 1976 (yup) and I almost cried when I read it. It was like watching my entire life flash before my eyes !!!

= Alvin =
March 17, 2010 3:29:44 AM

Alvin Smith said:
We used to play frisbee with brand new motherboards, in the PC LAB and laughing our butts off ... We also used to submerse sticky KBs in water (run them under warm faucet) and take them home and put them on the top rack of a 200 degree oven, with the door cracked open ... saved a few ... lost a few.

... decent mobos tend to have pretty strong innate capacitence. I *have* done really stupid stuff like that ... just not lately. NEVER SAY DIE ! (till you try everything in ShortStuff's Sticky ! ... VER-BATIM ! ).

= YAY !!! =

I *was" getting impatient, a little, because that document WILL SOLVE (or isolate the prob to a single component) ... Thats like 100 man-years of TS experience, there. I cannot improve upon it. I've been at this since 1976 (yup) and I almost cried when I read it. It was like watching my entire life flash before my eyes !!!

= Alvin =

Yeah, but based on my comments you should have stressed more that i'm probably missing something simple, thanks for your help and I'll stick around here to help out others. Never signed up for the forums until now.

And that is a good thread, although I think since it helped me I could redo it with pictures and video. It's worth the time as I don't want anyone to have to go through the disappointment I did. I also screwed over the retailer a little because I returned a perfectly good mobo and cpu (with the cpu stuck to the heatsink) :lol:  :lol: 

!