Super Worried about getting an H100i

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zed_Spooge

Honorable
Nov 11, 2012
Hey. I'm looking to get a new CPU cooler. I'm a HUGE fan of corsair, and I want the sleek look you get from a closed loop. This is the first PC i've built. My Hyper 212 just isn't fitting my OCing needs on my 3770k. I wanna get it to 4.5-4.8 stable without going very much higher than stock voltage. So, I really want an H100i. I have the money, I want the looks, I need the performance.. but... I'm super. super. scared. Oh sweet merciful god I wish you could go air cooling and still get that sleek look.... But alas, I am lost. I Would really really love to buy this (no ducking way I'm waiting till march for that new cpu cooler to come out) but I just don't know. I've invested every penny into this computer and if anything leaks I'll be screwed. I know corsair covers damages, but if it leaks on my GPU and mobo and fries something will they replace that even if it's installed properly? For how long will they do this? Is there any way to buy more warranty time? I plan on using this rig until everything in it is dead, and I don't want the first thing to go to take everything else with it. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE HELP. My budget is 130$. If the kraken X60 is less likely to leak, or has a better warranty, I'm all for it. i don't want a custom loop, the closed loops ones are just too damned sexiful.

aicom

Honorable
Mar 29, 2012
The H100i is unlikely to get you significantly more OC headroom on the Ivy Bridge CPUs due to the TIM they use underneath the IHS. If you're very concerned about leakage, just stick with a good quality air cooler like the Noctua NH-D14. It's not worth losing sleep over a few hundred megahertz.

Zed_Spooge

Honorable
Nov 11, 2012
I don't want a custom loop because they're expensive, not as sexy, and are more likely to leak. + you have to refill them.

I really want my white and gold themed system (kinda hard to work in the gold part) to look really good. Corsair C70 White, White corsair vengeance ram, asrock z77 extreme4, etc. Air cooling (pardon my french) looks like ***. plain and simple. they could at least paint the heatsincs diff colors.

Zed_Spooge

Honorable
Nov 11, 2012
Also (correct me if I'm using the wrong term, just getting into cooling and OCing) "lapping" i recall hearing this term. what is it exactly? I recall it being like sanding down the top of the cpu for more contact with the thermal paste or something

There is the Xigmatek Dark Knight cooler if you want to stick with air. Though I don't know if its performance is much better than the 212 EVO. Throw some yellow Bitefnix Spectre fans on and I bet it'd look fairly good.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835233029

There's always the possibility of the cooler leaking, just like there's always the possibility of something in the heatsink mounting breaking and for it to crash down on your GPU.
Dont think that youl be running a greater risk by getting a water-cooler.

EDIT: Pretty much got it right. Lapping is when you sanding the CPU's heat-spreader to make it flatter and thinner to help thermal transfer. You can also do it on the baseplate of your cooling.
Obviously it will void your warranty. Theres a guide to doing it at the top of the overclocking forum, with a hefty disclaimer at the top.

Zed_Spooge

Honorable
Nov 11, 2012
ASDFGHJKLWSDFGHJKLSDFGHJKL;SDFGHJKL GEE THANKS GUYS I AM OFFICIALLY SCARED TO DEATH OF WATER COOLING ;W;

Budget is 130$ on the cooler, so knock yourselves out. the havik would be nice but once again. damn heatsinc looks like a piece of plumbing.

I don't want a noctua just because it's huge and ugly.

Roughly the same price as the H100i, anyway, I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder? :p

You don't have to refill them unless you are changing parts.

Heatsink in that context meant air-cooling, not a water-cooling radiator. If you mount the H100i right there would be 8 screws holding it up.

Plus, custom water cooling can look amazing. Get a Raystorm kit, some white tubing and LED's to stick in the block.
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/16891/ex-wat-219/XSPC_Raystorm_750_RS240_Extreme_Universal_CPU_Water_Cooling_Kit_New_Rev_4_Pump_Included_w_Free_Dead-Water.html?tl=g30c321s1310
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/17880/ex-tub-1613/PrimoChill_PrimoFlex_Advanced_LRT_Tubing_716ID_x_58_OD_-_Elegant_White_PFLEXA-758-W.html?tl=g30c99s809
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/10674/ele-656/Tailed_Dual_3mm_LED_w_4-Pin_Pass-Thru_Connector_-_Amber_LED-3D2-A.html?tl=g6c455s1224

Also, this might be a good option.
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/17550/cpu-pro-29/Prolimatech_Megahalems_Rev_C_Intel_CPU_Heatsink_-_Black_Edition_LGA_775_1156_1366_2011_AM2_AM2_AM3.html#blank

Like this?

img36731.jpg

Where the fans are blowing downwards?

Zed_Spooge

Honorable
Nov 11, 2012
Lol what. IF YOU WERE ME AND ONLY HAD 130$ TO SPEND ON A COOLER AND DON'T WANNA RISK BREAKING YOUR 150$ RIG WHAT WOULD YOU DO
^What I'm askin in a nutshell

+keep in mind looks are 70% important

Then research, the water-cooling sticky is a great place to start.

I imagine after 5yrs you wouldn't even be able to get a H100, probably be replaced with something else by then.
Never researched into Corsairs warranty in case of a failure, but I imagine they would.

Zed_Spooge

Honorable
Nov 11, 2012
FK. This would be so flippin easy if it weren't for this leakage sh*t. I mean come on, when you sell someone a 120$ cooler that does something a 70$ air cooler can do you better f*ckin make sure it doesn't leek and won't leek. Why you would even want liquid cooling for anything other than the looks or the bragging rights is beyond me, since if you were doing like competitive OCing you'd be on liquid nitrogen or something. So frustrated. I've been awak for 36 hours on teksyndicate, here, eggxpert, overclockers, a couple other forums, google, corsairs website, nzxts website, and so far, my conclusion is: get a havik and deal with it.

There is always the possibility of failure on any PC component, from the PSU to optical drives to cooling of any description.

Get a H100i.
Chances are the rate at which they fail is <.1%. Minuscule chance of it failing, and if it does, Corsair cover anything damaged.

Zed_Spooge

Honorable
Nov 11, 2012
Infinite cancer flowing through my veins... Anyway.. on average I'd say I'm on the computer 7hrs/day ,so I'll compensate for 10. If I could get 4.5 GHZ without ever going over 70C with a havik 140 at STOCK voltage i'd be uber happy, if i had to up the volage just a bit I'd still be VERY satisfied. Possible? I had a little nerd rage for a minute, had to calm down and get a drink

Chances are the system as a whole will last well past the point its obsolete. I still have old hardware (some AM2+ systems with Phenom/Athlon chips) that if I could be bothered will still work.
Though its unlikely that absolutely nothing will break in that time-frame, just recently I had a RAM stick die randomly.

How long the H100i will last, no clue. Comes down to the luck of the draw, with the odds heavily stacked in your favor and 5yrs of immunity if you get a bad roll.

I wouldn't worry about it.

KraigW

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2011

I painted my pump housing and radiator end caps silver. Covered the tubing and wiring with chrome plated convoluted tubing. No problem after several years.

Status
Not open for further replies.