Built computer - disk not found

hogfather 2010

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
Hello,

a month ago I asked for advice on hardware. I installed the parts and they work, xp operating system has also been installed. Only one problem: every time I boot it, it gives a "hard disk drive not found" error. After which it continues to start normally. It's not a big problem, but I want it fixed anyway. I assume that it searches for an IDE hard drive, doesn't find any, shows the error, checks the SATA and finds the hard drive, then continues to startup. I've tried disabling IDE master/slave in the bios but it doesn't help.

Any ideas?

Oh, I have installed an asus m4a79xtd evo mobo and the HDD is a WD green 640 gb (sata). Both my HDD and my DVD RW are sata...

hogfather 2010

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
boot priority is set to hdd first. (I already tried DVD first and usb first, none worked)
ide master /slave has been disabled.

what other settings do I need to try???

hogfather 2010

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
apologies for tripple post: I read on another forum that I had to disable the "marvell ide" controller. I didn't find a "marvell ide controller" but did find a "marvell esata rom" (or something. definitely "marvell esata"). I disabled it and I don't have the error anymore. Do I have to worry about disabling this? There was a marvell driver I installed from the motherboard cd...

lindley010

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2010

Does ur motherboard have a ESATA port? if so, your motherboard could be giving you this error because it has no ESATA HDD. So no, do not worry abotu disabling it, but if u wanna use the esata port, you need to enable it again, other than that, it should be disabled to stop the annoying message.