How does some gaming network identify me when I'm connected

spielbergsp

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2009
Hi!

There is this gaming network which basically there is some third party software used to connect to it. If a person gets banned from it, all further attempts to reconnect to it from another account result in another ban. In other words, if you're banned and you try to create a new account, somehow they identify you. I'm just wondering what are the ways to identify someone like that? Having a dynamic IP doesn't help, they still get you detected, working from under a proxy doesn't help either.
Could it be hardware ID or something?

Any ideas are appreciated.

Mike.

Hi newcomer and welcome to the Tom's hardware forum.

Your PC have a unique number called MAC address, with this you can banned from the server with any account that you try to connect. This MAC address is a hexadecimal number on your network card.

spielbergsp

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2009
That was one of my ideas, and I tried changing it with some software but I still got identified on that network. Maybe the software never changed it? Is there any good way of doing it?

spielbergsp

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2009
Now I see, none of those software was able to change the MAC. It tries to assign a new one, restarts the controller, but the MAC address remains the same. What could be the problem here? Got ASUS MB built in Realtek controllers.

The problem is easy, the MAC address is unique and CAN'T BE CHANGE IT. The MAC address is burned to your NIC and the software can't change it.

How do you do that? What are the steps to change the MAC?

False_Dmitry_II

Distinguished
It may be seeing the mac of your router. That you can change in the router's settings. (because I would imagine that would be the only thing visible to them) Or try a different card. (assuming this is indeed how it is being done)

spielbergsp

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2009
Tried to edit the message, didn't work.

I used a new router on a clean windows installation with a newly created account with a different email with a different name - they were still be able to identify that it's me. I'm confused.

^I tell to you in my 1st post, the server don't block your account, the server block your mac address. Even, you can try with any OS that you want, with any CD key that you want, with any account that you want and the results will be the same.

The only way to enter to the game server again, is buy a network card and connect to internet across this one.

spielbergsp

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2009

I have 2 network cards installed, tried connecting from both of them. Result was the same.

you can try with any OS that you want, with any CD key that you want, with any account that you want and the results will be the same

If you are banned, IMO is banned for ever. Try to use your account in another PC.

Uniquey

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2010

Sorry to disagree with you, but you are wrong. The MAC address is unique however it can be changed. This is done in the windows adapter settings.