Sign in with
Your question

Zalman CNPS 8900 Extreme ?

Last response: in Overclocking
January 16, 2013 5:40:47 AM

I swapped this fan for the generic Q6600 fan with Arctic Silver 5 i think it is. The cpu is only running at 2.8Ghz at 1.28V. I was expecting at least 5-10 degrees drop after reading reviews of this fan but the two hottest cores are still running at 46 degrees, pretty much the same as the stock fan did. The other two are at 40.

This is under 85% fan speed at 2300rpm.. I reseated the fan in which i lost one of the bolts holding it on but i was able to do a "make do" job still keeping the sink firm to the board. I reapplied paste with a small blob in the middle and this attempt seemed to drop temps by a few degrees but it only lasted like one day and the temps went back up...

It is summer here and it is definately a few degrees hotter but this difference in temp is next to nothing. I don't have any case fans so my side panel is off and the fan pretty much touches the power supply above it, dont know if this matters.. Any help would be great.
a b K Overclocking
January 16, 2013 12:11:59 PM

not a great cooler , if one of the mounting "bolts" is missing or broken you might niot be getting good contact . and don't think the fan should be touching the psu
m
l
January 16, 2013 11:47:47 PM

jerry6 said:
not a great cooler , if one of the mounting "bolts" is missing or broken you might niot be getting good contact . and don't think the fan should be touching the psu

yea i wasnt expecting remarkable results but more than stock at least, as i said my make do job of the bolt seems fine and is just as firm as the other bolts, i was able to wedge the screw into the base by turning the plastic clip thingy around... the more research i do just makes me want to get an Antec 900 or something :/ 
m
l
!