Your question

Help!! Is my MB killing my gpu's?

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
March 14, 2010 10:57:32 AM

Hi there,
I'm hoping someone here can help me. I have a strange problem: when I switch my computer on I am getting post error giving me 1 long beep and 3 short beeps.I get no signal to my monitor but windows loads if I press enter. I know this because I can hear the windows start up sound. If I then press the power botton I can hear windows log off. Does this mean all 3 of my vga cards are not working or could it be a motherboard/chipset or even Bios issue? If all 3 vga cards are damaged then I guess something else must have caused the damage. Anyone have any idea what could do this to 3 vga cards?

I got this problem whilst playing a game, the screen froze, I wait, then press ctr,alt + del but nothing happens. so I wait a little longer, try again and then manual reboot. Now I get no signal to my monitor. Acer p222. which I think is ok because when I plug or unplug the dvi cable it switches on to tell me there is no signal.

So far I have tried an old crappy 8500gt I had lying around. This worked it booted in to windows asked to restart a short time later and didn't get a signal again.

I have tried different combos of ram as I have 2G lying around spare and 3 gfx cards.
The only symptom of my problem is the fact that the monitor is not getting a signal.
Gfx fans work, green leds on gfx indicating power state is ok.
Can't think of anything else.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

System specs:
MB- Striker 2 formula
CPU- Intel Q6600
RAM- Corsair XMS2 800 Mhz
GFX- 2* 9800gtx+ in sli
AUDIO- Supreme FX II
HDD- WD6401AALS
PSU- Enermax Galaxy 1000w
CASE- Antec 902

More about : killing gpu

a b B Homebuilt system
March 14, 2010 11:51:53 AM

ummm test your hardware before blaming something - PROPERLY

btw from what iv seen, every time i use Corsair and ASUS motherboards its a nightmare - reset your cmos, set that ram to 1:1 and atleast 1.9v and see how that goes
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
March 14, 2010 1:18:28 PM

Have you tried another monitor?
I was having the same problem.
Turns out my monitors power supply was failing.
Replaced the capacitors on the power supply and everything is fine.
m
l
March 14, 2010 1:25:55 PM

hi, thanks for the reply. At the moment I am unable to do anything as I have no display what-so-ever.

Also I have been running this system for well over a year with no memory issue's. Even OC'ed to 930Mhz or so at one time. I have also run numorous tests on this system during the last year including 3dmark06, 3dmark vantage, sisoft sandra, everest, memtest, ortos and prime95 which I ran for about 22 Hrs.
m
l
March 14, 2010 1:30:24 PM

Hi rick, don't think it's the monitor as it switches on to tell me there is no signal then goes back into stand-by. Thanks for the suggestion though, I will try to connect my laptop to the monitor later and see what happens.
m
l
!