Sign in with
Your question

4gb of 8gb installed ram going to hardware reserved

Last response: in Memory
November 11, 2010 7:56:56 AM

I have recently noticed this problem with my pc, its assigning half of my ram to hardware reserved i have only noticed this after taking everything off my mobo for a clean an now i have this issue. previously it was using the full 8gb with no problem.

i have read a few threads of people having similar issue's and have tried the following "fixes" :

reseated CPU and RAM chips,
cleared bios and also updated,
striped the mobo clear of parts and reseated everything (includes another clean),
Reinstalled my OS,
run memory tests and all modules test fine in all motherboard slots

my system consists of the following : I7-870 , GA-P55A-UD4P, 8gb CM3X2G1600C9 corsair ram, Palit GTX285

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!
November 11, 2010 9:18:30 AM

you need to use 64-bit os so windows can recognize 4+ gb ram
November 11, 2010 11:18:33 AM

sorry left out my OS in the system info i'm using WIN7 64-bit.

when i got to the resource manager in windows it says total memory installed 8gb but it has 4gb going to hardware reserve
Related resources
November 11, 2010 1:54:29 PM

nothing has worked so far .

November 12, 2010 5:22:34 AM

the only thing i didn't mention in the above specs is my HDD which is a western digital 1TB drive

i have already reset the CMOS, but i did it again and still no change.

i have attached a screenshot of the resource manager in WIN7 hope it helps

By shadowfire1091 at 2010-11-11
a c 347 } Memory
November 12, 2010 10:43:22 AM

Please list the EXACT RAM part-number(s) and/or I prefer link (s).
{CM3X2G1600C9 is not a valid p/n; suggests Corsair 3X2GB modules @ 1600 MHz}

Also, your EXACT MOBO including (revision) and BIOS version.
{I noted the GA-P55A-UD4P v 1 or 2}

Clearly, this is 9/10 a case of mix-match RAM, and they appear NOT to play well together. Your MOBO is a Dual/Quad Channel and the 'ODD' 2GB is killing the second Dual Channel from some disparity {Speed, CAS, Voltage, etc} issue.

You probably will need to return/exchange ALL of the RAM for (2) Matched-Sets of 2X2GB or better a Matched-Set of 4X2GB which is the best option.

Certified for v2 MOBO {QVL} - http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3...
Tested Corsair - http://www.corsair.com/configurator/product_results.asp...

I suggest - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Just to be a 'step ahead' - yes I realize 3X2 sets are often on the QVL list - BUT you can ONLY use 2 of the 3 sticks. Frankly, this is 'dumb' move on the MOBO QVL lists to omit an important caveat.
November 13, 2010 8:31:43 AM

heya guys finally found the issue 1 yes 1 of the pins on the CPU socket had twisted, i straightened it up and everything is perfect now :) 

thanks for all the help and suggestions
June 7, 2012 11:07:32 AM

I have same problem as darkdawn, 2050MB hardware reserved out of 4GB installed, 2MB reserved out of 2GB installed ! Everything tried, no luck ! :bounce: 

My system: Fujitsu Notebook LH520, 64-bit Windows 7 SP1, all updates installed, memory is DDR3 !

This problem is discussed all around, no luck in MS web site too !
Stupid MS steal our RAM !!!
!