Is this computer/set up good?

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Computer
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
March 14, 2010 10:57:36 AM

I am thinking of creating my own computer, but I seriously lack the knowledge of CPU's etc.

Here's what I got off a website:

500W PSU

Intel i5-530 O/C 4.0Ghz

4Gb DDR3 MEMORY

500Gb HDD

DVDRW

RADEON 5750 - 1Gb GRAPHICS

Firstly, does the Radeon 5750 even have 1GB ram? Isn't it 512mb?

It has an Intel i5-530 overclocked, would it run okay on a 500W PSU? Or will it break within a week?

-----
Here's what I've got for the Radeon 5750 (left) and the 5770 (right)
-----
Memory Bus Width 128-bit -- 128-bit
Memory Type GDDR5 -- GDDR5
Memory Clock Speed 1150 MHz -- 1200 MHz
Memory Size 512 MB -- 1024 MB - is this is ram of the gpu?
Memory Bandwidth 73.6 Gb -- 76.8 Gb
-----

I would appreciate it if someone can tell me what those mean :( 

This is where I got the information off btw: http://www.upgraderguides.com/hwdb.php?type=1&page=deta...

So anyways, is the above set up worth it for £400? (no screen, no OS)

And what is the Sapphire Radeon HD 5750 1GB GDDR5 PCI-E 2.0 x 16 Graphics Card?

I can get that for an additional £15, isn't that the exact same as the 5750 which already comes with the computer?

-----

Would this be a better choice?
-----

500W PSU
AMD PHEMON X2 550 CPU
4GB MEMORY
1TB HARD DRIVE
GEFORCE GT 220 - 1GB GRAPHICS
DVD WRITER
ONBOARD SOUND
---
Here's what I found for the AMD PHE:

550*

3.1GHz

1MB

socket AM3

80W

45nm SOI
-----
The only reason I'm here asking about every single detail is because the manufacturers website does not include this information, they just highlight the word billion and go on about the colours it supports...
------

Need any detail/info, just ask.

I want to use this pc for gaming and other stuff, such as rendering HD videos, using photoshop and those sorts of things, which usually take hours and hours (rendering a HD video on this computer takes around 4hours min.)

More about : computer set good

March 14, 2010 11:05:24 AM

Don't try ... there are many subtleties and nuances to balancing the value build.

Hint: Do not fear the AM3 Socket ... It can be very good to you.

Bigger Hint: Look for Eagles and Cats and maybe a disembodied brain ... Avitars.

Our value techs will set you up very pretty. Listen to them!

Tell them exactly what you want to do and your max budget. They may give you more than you hoped for and $$$ back.

= Alvin =
Related resources
March 14, 2010 11:31:54 AM

Maybe go AMD phenom II x4 945 or one of those Athlon II x4 and/or get a 600w psu.
March 14, 2010 3:16:57 PM

Can somebody do a nice, balanced value build for this guy ??? Just to give an idea?

... I will say, if you LURK these threads, you will get a VERY good idea of what configs are standard, and for what uses.

Every day here is like any other ... the names change but the "premium and value balanced configs" remain, pretty much, the same.

Pay closest attention to those who are more obviously experienced. You can look for those Avitars, elsewhere, on other threads.

Look for Subject Headings that match your needs and budget. You WILL learn everything you need, if you do that 20 or 50 times.

Also PLEASE read ALL those 5 sticky threads at the top of this forums main page. They WILL save your arse !

If nobody else (better than me) will do your build today, ... Then, I'll dredge this thread up and do you a good one, tonite.

Most likely, I'll just post you a really good thread so, be sure your needs/uses and max budget are clearly stated. That is the most important thing.

= Al =
March 14, 2010 5:25:16 PM

Alvin Smith said:
Can somebody do a nice, balanced value build for this guy ??? Just to give an idea?

... I will say, if you LURK these threads, you will get a VERY good idea of what configs are standard, and for what uses.

Every day here is like any other ... the names change but the "premium and value balanced configs" remain, pretty much, the same.

Pay closest attention to those who are more obviously experienced. You can look for those Avitars, elsewhere, on other threads.

Look for Subject Headings that match your needs and budget. You WILL learn everything you need, if you do that 20 or 50 times.

Also PLEASE read ALL those 5 sticky threads at the top of this forums main page. They WILL save your arse !

If nobody else (better than me) will do your build today, ... Then, I'll dredge this thread up and do you a good one, tonite.

Most likely, I'll just post you a really good thread so, be sure your needs/uses and max budget are clearly stated. That is the most important thing.

= Al =

You really don't know how to be helpful, do you?
March 14, 2010 5:51:42 PM

Acidis, what is your resolution and what do you intend on doing with the computer?

What's your budget?

I-5 + 5750 will not play games very well, and the GT 220 is worst.
March 14, 2010 5:58:17 PM

Sorry to dissapoint .. I can help you and I will .. I was hoping to get you the VERY BEST ADVICE AVAILABLE ON THIS FORUM and, as yet, I am not in the TOP-10 value techs.

I have been a troubleshooting tech for over 30 years (sonny) and built my first computer YEARS before the PC clone. I have forgotten more about tech, in the last 3 years than you will hope to imagine in this lifetime, much less "learn".

My best advice would be to get the VERY best advice from a value-gamer hotshot that knows ALL the combo deals and how to get every fps possible, from a pathetic budget, such as yours. I typically don't pay much attention to bottom feeders and I don't have a whole lot of time to indulge myself in gaming (but I do like them ... just don't have time).

At your price-point, I (admittedly) do not know (for certain) at what point a faster clock beats more cores, for instance.

What I do know is "who does know". A handfull of dedicated pros who live to help you squeeze every fps out of every penny.

And, BTW, I just bumped your thread because I didn't see *ANY* body else falling all over themselves to help you.

If I were you, I would fill out the entire form which is located in the "How to Ask" sticky thread, at the top of this forums main (new build) page ... Like everybody else does. Link to the components you want to know about and state your max budget and your uses explicitly.

Truth is, I have seen a LOT of budget gamer threads and I COULD very easily cut and paste that to you. Sure ain't gonna bother with that, now, DH.

= Rotz-a-Ruck !! =

.. do hope you find someone who is able (and qualified) to serve you in the preferred manner ...

You really don't know how to properly ask for advice on any forum ... DO YOU ?

= peace =
March 14, 2010 5:58:18 PM

This setup will play all games on max settings. Your looking at 3-4X the performance in games over the GT 220 or 5750.

*EDIT* Just realized your in the UK, I don't think newegg ships there. But if you look at this setup you can try to find some thing similar on a website that ships to UK. I don't really know any sites that ship outside of the US except frys.com

March 14, 2010 6:04:19 PM

Fang is certified ... definately a top value tech. No doubts, there.

= Where Eagles Dare ! =
April 14, 2010 2:14:37 PM

Alvin Smith said:
Fang is certified ... definately a top value tech. No doubts, there.

= Where Eagles Dare ! =

i never asked you for your life story, seriously you're not answering my question you're giving me ways to live my life or something, add a TL;DR to your comments.
I'm only replying to tell you no one cares,

I saw something about budget gamers, if this is budget and not worth it then at least give me something that is
And thank you whitefang for answering my question.

Btw the guy who I made a quote off, you're flaming whitefang, and no one loves you, bai x.
April 14, 2010 2:25:36 PM

Fang's build is good, no complaints for your $800 goal.

BTW it's never a good idea to OC anything to 4.0 ghz and try to run it as a daily.
!