2.21gHz Phenom 9500 slowing down my GTX 295?

Hi guys, I was just wondering if my processor could be slowing down my graphics... been getting some strange FPS in Source engine games (seems to peak at 40FPS, and jitters a lot). Also any high speed scripting involved in things like Supreme Commander and Far Cry (explosions etc.) seem to really lag up my game.

Some specs:
700W OCZ gameXstream PSU
AMD Phenom X4 9500 @ 2.21gHz
ASUS M3N-HT 780a Mobo
XFX nVidia GTX 295
Seagate Barracuda 500GB
4GB Corsair RAM (can't remember exact model)
Windows 7 Ultimate (x64)

Any help or suggestions for upgrades appreciated
8 answers Last reply
More about 21ghz phenom 9500 slowing
  1. Tell me about it, it burnt through the last lot of silver thermic paste I put on it though, so probably time for an upgrade... Cheers
  2. Do you have the TLB error patch fix enabled in your BIOS? That alone reduces performance of the B2 Phenoms by a good 10-15%. The low clock speed and slower architecture of Phenom aren't helping either.
  3. Yeah I've seen some Phenom II's for around £150 so shouldn't be too hard too scrape together.
  4. I'm thinking Phenom II 965 X4 Black Edition ~ 3.4gHz
    Here's hoping the PSU performs under the load...
  5. Think I'm gonna go with the Athlon II 445

Would you say it would be better for gaming if I got a more powerful CPU with less cores?
  6. get whatever ur budget can take, phenom II x4 will be ideal, but athlon II x4 is just as good
  7. Thanks guys, great help :)
  8. I'd recommend a PII x3 or PIIx4 940 to balance out that GTX295. They cost around $130-$140 USD on Newegg.
Ask a new question

Read More