RoggerRogger

Honorable
Jan 16, 2013
Hello,
I see there are many similar threads, but none fit exactly my question.
I have arranged my first "good" gaming pc and was wondering if it is worthwhile to overclock and if so how to.
The pc setup is:

CPU: INTEL i5-3570K 3,4 GHZ 77W LGA1155
GPU: VGA 3GB XFX Radeon HD7950 Ghost DD FAN
RAM: Corsair 2 x DIMM 4 Gb 240-pin DDR3 SDRAM 1600 mhz
Case: Coolermaster Storm scout II
Power supply: CORSAIR GS600
Plus an ssd hard disk for OS and games and a basic 2Tera HArd disk for the rest that I don't think are part of the equation.

The specific questions are:
Can I overclock this setup?
If so how many fans should I get and where to put them?
How would I technically do the overclocking?

Thank you in advance for the help.

Hi and welcome to Tom's hardware.

1) Yeah, all the rig can be overclocked.
2) How many fans and how are configured?
3) What do you know about overclock? What you read? What you tried?

And you NEED a real better cooler, the stock cooler can be good but just for stock.

RoggerRogger

Honorable
Jan 16, 2013
Thanks for the welcome!

About the fans the case supports:
Top: 120mm fan x 2 (optional)
Front: 120mm fan x 2 or 140mm fan x 1 (optional)
Rear: 120mm red LED fan x 1 (with LED on/off function)
Bottom: 120mm fan x 1 (optional)
Side: 120mm fan x 2 (optional)
HDD cage: 120mm fan x 1 (optional).
Of which I have only the stock. I was deffenetly thinking of getting the front and one top and put the first ipointing in and the second pointing out. This is the configuration for non overclocked, do I need much more? Apart from a better cooler that is.

About my overclocking knowledge, it is not very much. I am reading a lor right now and have a pretty good idea of how it would work, but have never actually perfomed it.

Again thanks for the help ou are giving me

I would spend way, way less on a mobo - like probably the one in my sig...

Do you live near a Microcenter? They frequently have great deals on 3570K+Extreme4 combo.

You definitely need at least at least a cheap Evo cooler for the CPU. That'll get you in the 4.3GHz to 4.5GHz range without increasing the voltage (more power draw, more heat). I went 4.4 on auto voltage stable but backed it down just because I didn't see a need for that much right now.

Think I'd add one front, one side, and one top-rear fan. Saw an article that I can't find now that tested many different fan setups and that was all around one of the best.