Solved

Replacing a dying card?

It sounds like one of my 8800gt cards is dying. I run 2x in SLI.

When I first boot up the computer the fan is supposed to go to 100% speed then slow down. Now it sounds like it's trying to go up but stutters part way and can't get there. This results in no display. If I use some voodoo and flip the computer on it's side and open the side panel it suddenly works.

I'm thinking about getting a 260 or 275 to replace it. My question is: Will I get better performance by using the working 8800gt in sli with the 260/275(thus reducing the amount of memory to 512 from 896) or just using the old card as a physx card.

Ideally I would go for the 275 so I can get better single card performance than now but I'm not sure if it's in stock here and I can't find any online shops that even have it or at a better price. Might get stuck with the 260 though(which would kinda suck as it's worse than my current set up and it was on sale a few weeks ago for 30$ off)
5 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about replacing dying card
  1. Best answer
    whywouldyoudothat said:
    It sounds like one of my 8800gt cards is dying. I run 2x in SLI.

When I first boot up the computer the fan is supposed to go to 100% speed then slow down. Now it sounds like it's trying to go up but stutters part way and can't get there. This results in no display. If I use some voodoo and flip the computer on it's side and open the side panel it suddenly works.

I'm thinking about getting a 260 or 275 to replace it. My question is: Will I get better performance by using the working 8800gt in sli with the 260/275(thus reducing the amount of memory to 512 from 896) or just using the old card as a physx card.

Ideally I would go for the 275 so I can get better single card performance than now but I'm not sure if it's in stock here and I can't find any online shops that even have it or at a better price. Might get stuck with the 260 though(which would kinda suck as it's worse than my current set up and it was on sale a few weeks ago for 30$ off)

They won't sli but you can still use the 8800gt for phsyx and cuda while the main gets used for games but that is up to you.
  2. Hmmm yeah I guess I have to get a new one anyways. Might as well stick it in there for physx since I already have it. Too bad it can't SLI though.
  3. New question: If I decide to go with an ATI card instead, can I still use the nvidia card for physx?
  4. whywouldyoudothat said:
    New question: If I decide to go with an ATI card instead, can I still use the nvidia card for physx?

Only with old drivers and a patch.
  5. Best answer selected by whywouldyoudothat.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Computer Graphics Product