Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Hard drive to usb converters?

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 30, 2004 1:26:00 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

I have a Dell Inspiron 8200 and yesterday the hard drive crashed. I
am getting a replacement under warranty from Dell but I need to get
most of the data off the original HD. What would be the best
(cheapest) bet? I'm not worried about speed at all, just cost. The
guy I talked to on the phone at Dell said there are laptop ide to usb
converters. I have seen converters for a laptop hd to desktop ide but
not to usb. Does anyone know where I can get these and how much they
might cost?
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 30, 2004 9:08:42 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

He's right, but the laptop to IDE converter is probably a better way to
go. The Laptop to USB converers are external cases into which you can
mount your laptop drive. About $20 to $50, on E-Bay.


superkid wrote:

> I have a Dell Inspiron 8200 and yesterday the hard drive crashed. I
> am getting a replacement under warranty from Dell but I need to get
> most of the data off the original HD. What would be the best
> (cheapest) bet? I'm not worried about speed at all, just cost. The
> guy I talked to on the phone at Dell said there are laptop ide to usb
> converters. I have seen converters for a laptop hd to desktop ide but
> not to usb. Does anyone know where I can get these and how much they
> might cost?
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 30, 2004 9:08:43 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

They don't cost any more in stores or
on-line. Why bother with eBay at all?



dk


"Barry Watzman" <WatzmanNOSPAM@neo.rr.com> wrote in message
news:41336077.6080108@neo.rr.com...
> He's right, but the laptop to IDE converter is probably a better way to
> go. The Laptop to USB converers are external cases into which you can
> mount your laptop drive. About $20 to $50, on E-Bay.
>
>
> superkid wrote:
>
> > I have a Dell Inspiron 8200 and yesterday the hard drive crashed. I
> > am getting a replacement under warranty from Dell but I need to get
> > most of the data off the original HD. What would be the best
> > (cheapest) bet? I'm not worried about speed at all, just cost. The
> > guy I talked to on the phone at Dell said there are laptop ide to usb
> > converters. I have seen converters for a laptop hd to desktop ide but
> > not to usb. Does anyone know where I can get these and how much they
> > might cost?
Related resources
August 30, 2004 9:12:43 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

superkid <brandon_mathews@msn.com> wrote:
: I have a Dell Inspiron 8200 and yesterday the hard drive crashed. I
: am getting a replacement under warranty from Dell but I need to get
: most of the data off the original HD. What would be the best
: (cheapest) bet? I'm not worried about speed at all, just cost. The
: guy I talked to on the phone at Dell said there are laptop ide to usb
: converters. I have seen converters for a laptop hd to desktop ide but
: not to usb. Does anyone know where I can get these and how much they
: might cost?

If your hard drive "crashed" then no USB to IDE converter is going to
make a difference. Your drive most likely has some internal problem
that has nothing to do with the interface to it. Your data may be
very expensive to recover. There are data recovery companies out
there that specialize in such things, but it could cost hundreds or
even thousands of dollars.

I'm guessing your drive is not going to give you data with a USB
connection and that it is mostly dead. But if you wish to try it
anyway, what you are looking for is called a "USB drive enclosure",
and you want one for 2.5" (laptop) drives. I can get one locally for
about $30. Try newegg.com.

Note that you will want USB 2 ports on your laptop to use the
enclosure effectively. With USB 1.1, accessing the drive would be
very slow, but if you need to do it only once - and your drive
miraculously is alive - expect to wait overnight while data is
transferred over to your new drive.

Even if your drive is dead, USB drive enclosures are useful for
backing up data as you must now understand. You could even have two
or three 2.5" hard drives, then make a ghosted copy of your data to
the drive once in a while, so if the one in your laptop dies, you
could just plug a new one in the next day and be off and running
again.

Andrew
--
----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----
*******************************************************************
----> http://www.bizave.com <---- Photo Albums and Portland Info
----> To Email me remove "MYSHOES" from email address
*******************************************************************
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 31, 2004 12:53:21 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

E-Bay is "online".

You apparently have the notion -- not uncommon -- that E-Bay is only for
used goods, but it's not. It's an excellent place to shop for almost
everything, new and used. Obviously it's not always going to be the
place where you end up buying, but your post ("Why bother with eBay at
all?") suggests that it's a "2nd class" place to shop, but what I've
been finding is just the opposite -- that I can buy most new things
(across the entire spectrum of everything that I buy) on E-Bay for
sometimes less than half of what I would pay in "stores", and I'm
talking about brand new, current production merchandise.


Dan Koren wrote:
> They don't cost any more in stores or
> on-line. Why bother with eBay at all?
>
>
>
> dk
>
>
> "Barry Watzman" <WatzmanNOSPAM@neo.rr.com> wrote in message
> news:41336077.6080108@neo.rr.com...
>
>>He's right, but the laptop to IDE converter is probably a better way to
>>go. The Laptop to USB converers are external cases into which you can
>>mount your laptop drive. About $20 to $50, on E-Bay.
>>
>>
>>superkid wrote:
>>
>>
>>>I have a Dell Inspiron 8200 and yesterday the hard drive crashed. I
>>>am getting a replacement under warranty from Dell but I need to get
>>>most of the data off the original HD. What would be the best
>>>(cheapest) bet? I'm not worried about speed at all, just cost. The
>>>guy I talked to on the phone at Dell said there are laptop ide to usb
>>>converters. I have seen converters for a laptop hd to desktop ide but
>>>not to usb. Does anyone know where I can get these and how much they
>>>might cost?
>
>
>
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 31, 2004 11:52:11 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

I figured the drive would be toast and I wouldn't be able to recover
anything. It looks like that's the case. I bought a laptop 44 pin to
40 pin IDE converter at compusa for $8 and set the hard drive as the
slave. I booted up my desktop and the hard drive just sat there
clicking over and over and the desktop never recognized it. I have
stuff on there I really do need though. Pictures of my 1 yr old son,
budget info, etc. I think I may call a data recovery place locally to
get a price estimate. I wish there was some way I could do it myself
though.

Thanks for the help though.

Barry Watzman <WatzmanNOSPAM@neo.rr.com> wrote in message news:<413395C6.4090907@neo.rr.com>...
> E-Bay is "online".
>
> You apparently have the notion -- not uncommon -- that E-Bay is only for
> used goods, but it's not. It's an excellent place to shop for almost
> everything, new and used. Obviously it's not always going to be the
> place where you end up buying, but your post ("Why bother with eBay at
> all?") suggests that it's a "2nd class" place to shop, but what I've
> been finding is just the opposite -- that I can buy most new things
> (across the entire spectrum of everything that I buy) on E-Bay for
> sometimes less than half of what I would pay in "stores", and I'm
> talking about brand new, current production merchandise.
>
>
> Dan Koren wrote:
> > They don't cost any more in stores or
> > on-line. Why bother with eBay at all?
> >
> >
> >
> > dk
> >
> >
> > "Barry Watzman" <WatzmanNOSPAM@neo.rr.com> wrote in message
> > news:41336077.6080108@neo.rr.com...
> >
> >>He's right, but the laptop to IDE converter is probably a better way to
> >>go. The Laptop to USB converers are external cases into which you can
> >>mount your laptop drive. About $20 to $50, on E-Bay.
> >>
> >>
> >>superkid wrote:
> >>
> >>
> >>>I have a Dell Inspiron 8200 and yesterday the hard drive crashed. I
> >>>am getting a replacement under warranty from Dell but I need to get
> >>>most of the data off the original HD. What would be the best
> >>>(cheapest) bet? I'm not worried about speed at all, just cost. The
> >>>guy I talked to on the phone at Dell said there are laptop ide to usb
> >>>converters. I have seen converters for a laptop hd to desktop ide but
> >>>not to usb. Does anyone know where I can get these and how much they
> >>>might cost?
> >
> >
> >
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 31, 2004 8:55:09 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

superkid <brandon_mathews@msn.com> wrote:
> I figured the drive would be toast and I wouldn't be able to recover
> anything. It looks like that's the case. I bought a laptop 44 pin to
> 40 pin IDE converter at compusa for $8 and set the hard drive as the
> slave. I booted up my desktop and the hard drive just sat there
> clicking over and over and the desktop never recognized it. I have
> stuff on there I really do need though. Pictures of my 1 yr old son,
> budget info, etc. I think I may call a data recovery place locally to
> get a price estimate. I wish there was some way I could do it myself
> though.

Are you _positive_ that you installed the adapter correctly?

Does your desktop's BIOS recognize the HD at all?

--
Regards,

James

Checkout the NEW Thinkpad Forums: http://forum.thinkpads.com
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
September 1, 2004 12:54:48 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

I set it as the slave and it did the same thing it did when in the
laptop - clicked. It made a loud clicking noise and didn't spin at
all. I didn't bother going into the bios since it was making the
clicking noise and the bios in the laptop didn't recognize it when it
did that. Maybe I'll try the freezer trick. I heard it works about
5% of the time. LOL

"JHEM" <James@ESAD_SPAMMERS.thinkpads.com> wrote in message news:<N32Zc.55$z05.28@trnddc08>...
> Are you _positive_ that you installed the adapter correctly?
>
> Does your desktop's BIOS recognize the HD at all?
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
September 2, 2004 1:53:58 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

brandon_mathews@msn.com (superkid) wrote:


> I set it as the slave and it did the same thing it did when in the
> laptop - clicked.

When the hard drive is put into an USB case, the drive should be set as a
"single" drive. I just installed a WD 120GB drive in an external USB
enclosure, and the instructions were so vague I removed the drive jumper to
treat it as a "single" drive on the USB chain... and it worked perfectly.
Do not repeat not jumper it as either master, slave or cable-select.

Have not looked at my laptop bios to see if the external drive is listed
there, which I doubt.

FYI, my external USB hard drive was fully plug/play in Win XP, no drivers
needed.


--
Anti-Spam address: my last name at his dot com
Charles Gillen -- Reston, Virginia, USA
September 2, 2004 8:08:49 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Charles Gillen <see-my-sig@below.com> wrote:
: brandon_mathews@msn.com (superkid) wrote:


: > I set it as the slave and it did the same thing it did when in the
: > laptop - clicked.

: When the hard drive is put into an USB case, the drive should be set as a
: "single" drive. I just installed a WD 120GB drive in an external USB
: enclosure, and the instructions were so vague I removed the drive jumper to
: treat it as a "single" drive on the USB chain... and it worked perfectly.
: Do not repeat not jumper it as either master, slave or cable-select.

Having a drive set to "slave" doesn't mean it won't work, though you
should of course try not to do that. I had a hard drive set by
mistake to slave in a desktop system (the only hard drive in the
computer) and didn't even realize it for a few weeks. It worked OK as
the slave. I set it to master/single drive and noticed no
difference in operation.

A "clicking" of the hard drive and no response sounds just like what
happened to mine when it crashed last March. It was completely dead.

Andrew
--
----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----
*******************************************************************
----> http://www.bizave.com <---- Photo Albums and Portland Info
----> To Email me remove "MYSHOES" from email address
*******************************************************************
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
September 2, 2004 3:50:19 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

> am getting a replacement under warranty from Dell but I need to get
> most of the data off the original HD. What would be the best

NOTE: Some hard drives might not work correctly in a USB adapter
unless the adapter is externally powered. Clicking instead of spinning
up properly is a common symptom of this. The drive draws the most
current when spinning up.

For example, I have a bus-powered USB->44IDE converter. While numerous
drives I have work just fine with it, I have two 30Gb Hitachi drives
that don't work. They click and don't spin up. When installed into a
real laptop, they work fine.

USB is not speced to carry the spinup current of a hard drive (can
sometimes be 2A briefly). Sometimes you get away with it, sometimes
not.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
September 3, 2004 6:22:45 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

superkid <brandon_mathews@msn.com> wrote:
> I set it as the slave and it did the same thing it did when in the
> laptop - clicked. It made a loud clicking noise and didn't spin at
> all. I didn't bother going into the bios since it was making the
> clicking noise and the bios in the laptop didn't recognize it when it
> did that. Maybe I'll try the freezer trick. I heard it works about
> 5% of the time. LOL

I meant was the adapter correctly attached to the HD with the power leads on
the PIN1 end of the IDE connecter!

--
Regards,

James

Checkout the NEW Thinkpad Forums: http://forum.thinkpads.com
September 8, 2004 2:45:36 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

On 2 Sep 2004 11:50:19 -0700, larwe@larwe.com (Lewin A.R.W. Edwards)
wrote:

>> am getting a replacement under warranty from Dell but I need to get
>> most of the data off the original HD. What would be the best
>
>NOTE: Some hard drives might not work correctly in a USB adapter
>unless the adapter is externally powered. Clicking instead of spinning
>up properly is a common symptom of this. The drive draws the most
>current when spinning up.
>
>For example, I have a bus-powered USB->44IDE converter. While numerous
>drives I have work just fine with it, I have two 30Gb Hitachi drives
>that don't work. They click and don't spin up. When installed into a
>real laptop, they work fine.
>
>USB is not speced to carry the spinup current of a hard drive (can
>sometimes be 2A briefly). Sometimes you get away with it, sometimes
>not.

Which harddrive are you using that work without external power? White
I'm at it, which harddrive enclosure?
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
September 9, 2004 2:30:09 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

> Which harddrive are you using that work without external power? White
> I'm at it, which harddrive enclosure?

Toshiba and IBM 20Gb drives, the Toshi is MK2023GAP I think from memory,
the IBM is DJSA-220. The adapter is a _very_ generic one I bought on
eBay, it has no brand information at all and when I bought it was
shipped direct from Hong Kong.
September 9, 2004 2:30:10 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

On Wed, 08 Sep 2004 22:30:09 GMT, "Lewin A.R.W. Edwards"
<larwe@larwe.com> wrote:

>> Which harddrive are you using that work without external power? White
>> I'm at it, which harddrive enclosure?
>
>Toshiba and IBM 20Gb drives, the Toshi is MK2023GAP I think from memory,
>the IBM is DJSA-220. The adapter is a _very_ generic one I bought on
>eBay, it has no brand information at all and when I bought it was
>shipped direct from Hong Kong.
>
Thanks, I've been wanting to build one of these but have been unsure
of the power issues. What has always had me confused is that a usb
2.0 port has a maximum power output of 480 mAmp but when I look at
manufacture's specs they list power requirement in watts.

For enclosures I've looking at ones by ByteCC.

Anyway, Thanks.
September 9, 2004 3:33:19 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

I have the Bytecc USB2 2.5" enclosure and it works fine with my Toshiba 60g
16mb drive on my Toshiba 5200. No external power needed.
Terry

"jim" <ja_roush@mminternet.com> wrote in message
news:f52vj052cltphboai36v1757ma7njg4a8a@4ax.com...
> On Wed, 08 Sep 2004 22:30:09 GMT, "Lewin A.R.W. Edwards"
> <larwe@larwe.com> wrote:
>
>>> Which harddrive are you using that work without external power? White
>>> I'm at it, which harddrive enclosure?
>>
>>Toshiba and IBM 20Gb drives, the Toshi is MK2023GAP I think from memory,
>>the IBM is DJSA-220. The adapter is a _very_ generic one I bought on
>>eBay, it has no brand information at all and when I bought it was
>>shipped direct from Hong Kong.
>>
> Thanks, I've been wanting to build one of these but have been unsure
> of the power issues. What has always had me confused is that a usb
> 2.0 port has a maximum power output of 480 mAmp but when I look at
> manufacture's specs they list power requirement in watts.
>
> For enclosures I've looking at ones by ByteCC.
>
> Anyway, Thanks.
>
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
September 9, 2004 4:46:11 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

jim <ja_roush@mminternet.com> wrote in
news:f52vj052cltphboai36v1757ma7njg4a8a@4ax.com:

> a usb 2.0 port has a maximum power output of 480 mAmp but when I
look at manufacture's specs they list power requirement in watts

power in watts = amps * volts or conventionally:
P = I * V (watts)

For USB: V = 5 volts. Hence, for example, a USB port can (should :-)
deliver:

P = 0.480 * 5 = 2.4 watts.
September 10, 2004 12:50:30 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

On 9 Sep 2004 00:46:11 GMT, Frank le Spikkin <zaq@invalid.jp> wrote:

>jim <ja_roush@mminternet.com> wrote in
>news:f52vj052cltphboai36v1757ma7njg4a8a@4ax.com:
>
>> a usb 2.0 port has a maximum power output of 480 mAmp but when I
>look at manufacture's specs they list power requirement in watts
>
>power in watts = amps * volts or conventionally:
> P = I * V (watts)
>
>For USB: V = 5 volts. Hence, for example, a USB port can (should :-)
>deliver:
>
> P = 0.480 * 5 = 2.4 watts.

My hero, Thank you.
September 10, 2004 5:50:34 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

On Wed, 08 Sep 2004 23:33:19 GMT, "tc" <terrycassidy@msn.com> wrote:

Is this
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?descripti...
the drive you used?


Do you remember which ByteCC unclosure you used? I like using proven
formulas.

>I have the Bytecc USB2 2.5" enclosure and it works fine with my Toshiba 60g
>16mb drive on my Toshiba 5200. No external power needed.
>Terry
>
>"jim" <ja_roush@mminternet.com> wrote in message
>news:f52vj052cltphboai36v1757ma7njg4a8a@4ax.com...
>> On Wed, 08 Sep 2004 22:30:09 GMT, "Lewin A.R.W. Edwards"
>> <larwe@larwe.com> wrote:
>>
>>>> Which harddrive are you using that work without external power? White
>>>> I'm at it, which harddrive enclosure?
>>>
>>>Toshiba and IBM 20Gb drives, the Toshi is MK2023GAP I think from memory,
>>>the IBM is DJSA-220. The adapter is a _very_ generic one I bought on
>>>eBay, it has no brand information at all and when I bought it was
>>>shipped direct from Hong Kong.
>>>
>> Thanks, I've been wanting to build one of these but have been unsure
>> of the power issues. What has always had me confused is that a usb
>> 2.0 port has a maximum power output of 480 mAmp but when I look at
>> manufacture's specs they list power requirement in watts.
>>
>> For enclosures I've looking at ones by ByteCC.
>>
>> Anyway, Thanks.
>>
>
>
September 11, 2004 3:56:32 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Jim,
Yes on the drive, however I am now using a different enclosure made by
Xpress also a 2.5" USB2 form factor. Made by Genware as in this picture.
http://www.frontierpc.com/ProductDetail.aspx?productID=...
Terry

"jim" <ja_roush@mminternet.com> wrote in message
news:o l44k052qnvogt861n3ie0i1ks03drtih1@4ax.com...
> On Wed, 08 Sep 2004 23:33:19 GMT, "tc" <terrycassidy@msn.com> wrote:
>
> Is this
> http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?descripti...
> the drive you used?
>
>
> Do you remember which ByteCC unclosure you used? I like using proven
> formulas.
>
>>I have the Bytecc USB2 2.5" enclosure and it works fine with my Toshiba
>>60g
>>16mb drive on my Toshiba 5200. No external power needed.
>>Terry
>>
>>"jim" <ja_roush@mminternet.com> wrote in message
>>news:f52vj052cltphboai36v1757ma7njg4a8a@4ax.com...
>>> On Wed, 08 Sep 2004 22:30:09 GMT, "Lewin A.R.W. Edwards"
>>> <larwe@larwe.com> wrote:
>>>
>>>>> Which harddrive are you using that work without external power? White
>>>>> I'm at it, which harddrive enclosure?
>>>>
>>>>Toshiba and IBM 20Gb drives, the Toshi is MK2023GAP I think from memory,
>>>>the IBM is DJSA-220. The adapter is a _very_ generic one I bought on
>>>>eBay, it has no brand information at all and when I bought it was
>>>>shipped direct from Hong Kong.
>>>>
>>> Thanks, I've been wanting to build one of these but have been unsure
>>> of the power issues. What has always had me confused is that a usb
>>> 2.0 port has a maximum power output of 480 mAmp but when I look at
>>> manufacture's specs they list power requirement in watts.
>>>
>>> For enclosures I've looking at ones by ByteCC.
>>>
>>> Anyway, Thanks.
>>>
>>
>>
>
>
September 11, 2004 3:56:33 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 23:56:32 GMT, "tc" <terrycassidy@msn.com> wrote:
TC,

That looks better than what I had planned. thanks for the info.


>Jim,
>Yes on the drive, however I am now using a different enclosure made by
>Xpress also a 2.5" USB2 form factor. Made by Genware as in this picture.
>http://www.frontierpc.com/ProductDetail.aspx?productID=...
>Terry
>
>"jim" <ja_roush@mminternet.com> wrote in message
>news:o l44k052qnvogt861n3ie0i1ks03drtih1@4ax.com...
>> On Wed, 08 Sep 2004 23:33:19 GMT, "tc" <terrycassidy@msn.com> wrote:
>>
>> Is this
>> http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?descripti...
>> the drive you used?
>>
>>
>> Do you remember which ByteCC unclosure you used? I like using proven
>> formulas.
>>
>>>I have the Bytecc USB2 2.5" enclosure and it works fine with my Toshiba
>>>60g
>>>16mb drive on my Toshiba 5200. No external power needed.
>>>Terry
>>>
>>>"jim" <ja_roush@mminternet.com> wrote in message
>>>news:f52vj052cltphboai36v1757ma7njg4a8a@4ax.com...
>>>> On Wed, 08 Sep 2004 22:30:09 GMT, "Lewin A.R.W. Edwards"
>>>> <larwe@larwe.com> wrote:
>>>>
>>>>>> Which harddrive are you using that work without external power? White
>>>>>> I'm at it, which harddrive enclosure?
>>>>>
>>>>>Toshiba and IBM 20Gb drives, the Toshi is MK2023GAP I think from memory,
>>>>>the IBM is DJSA-220. The adapter is a _very_ generic one I bought on
>>>>>eBay, it has no brand information at all and when I bought it was
>>>>>shipped direct from Hong Kong.
>>>>>
>>>> Thanks, I've been wanting to build one of these but have been unsure
>>>> of the power issues. What has always had me confused is that a usb
>>>> 2.0 port has a maximum power output of 480 mAmp but when I look at
>>>> manufacture's specs they list power requirement in watts.
>>>>
>>>> For enclosures I've looking at ones by ByteCC.
>>>>
>>>> Anyway, Thanks.
>>>>
>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>
>
!