Unable to make transactions on my internet

ccowan

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2010
Hi,

The internet at my boarding school was fine until September (albeit a little sluggish at times but reliable) when the school expanded by 80 people and put a strain on the internet, the administrators blocked all file sharing sites. And whenever I try things like logging into facebook it take about 30 attempts also I can't make card transaction when I am buying things, and it isn't my laptop it is the schools internet. Please can you give me some reasons/ more technical terms as the internet isnt slow it is just doesn't like the big pages such as card treansactions etc

I am going to write a letter to our Headmaster to ask for a bigger budget for the internet, they currently pay £144,000 per year for internet and the next avaliable package is £300 000

Bear in mind this is a private school that i am talking about that has 780 students each paying £30,000 per year too.

many thanks

ccowan

G

Sounds like the school's firewall policy is frustrating you.

If your parents can manage fees that high perhaps you can persuade them to give a 3G dongle for your laptop ?

ccowan

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2010
yeah my friend has one but where my room is there are 10metre high minimum1 metre thick walls and i have to go for a 2 minute walk to get phone signal.

When the tories are back, we will get faster internet.

G

My God, when I was at prep school we weren't allowed transistor radios. Yes, and we were all little tories back then -- but you grow out of it as you assume adult responsibilities.

"10metre high minimum1 metre thick walls"

Are you sure this isn't one of Her Majesty's high security "boarding schools"

G

Mine wasn't quite so grand, especially after the M4 sliced straight through the grounds in a 20 ft deep trench.