Sign in with
Your question

CPU cooler not kicking in like it should?

Last response: in CPUs
May 23, 2010 12:11:48 AM

I have a Zalman cooler for my Q6700 on an Intel D975XBX2 board, and upon startup it kicks in full blast but once Windows 7 (64 bit Ultimate) loads it goes back to normal. My idle temps are low 30's but when the chip is under full load they shoot up 20-23 degrees hotter, and the fan speed doesn't seem to be increasing to compensate. I know I can disable the auto fan adjust in BIOS but doing that and using Speedfan, none of the available fans seem to correspond to my CPU cooler fan. I can max out each one and I don't hear it speed up.

Is there another way to get that fan to kick in? I've read Speedfan works best but I haven't gotten it to work properly for my rig yet.

Any ideas/solutions much appreciated.

More about : cpu cooler kicking

a b à CPUs
May 23, 2010 11:30:08 AM

auto fan is a scaling tool that makes the speed vary. When it is on the BIOS manages speed. If the temperature is below the minumum for autofan then it will not kick in.

with autofan on, speedfan will not work. Turn it off, or see if you can adjust the temperatures autofan works at
m
l
Related resources
May 23, 2010 4:12:50 PM

I saw the Intel Desktop Control Center but yeah apparently it only works with 32 bit XP and Vista for my board. I looked up the exact make of my cooler, Zalman CNPS9900 http://www.quietpc.com/gb-en-gbp/products/amdcooling/cn...
and according to that it's fan speed is automatically controlled (PWM).

Xbeater, I'll look to see if I can adjust the temperature it kicks in higher at, but iirc, my board only had the option to enable or disable it. Maybe I was missing something though.

*edit* I looked in BIOS, even in the config jumper and no option to adjust speed settings other than minimum= slow or off. Other than that it only enables or disables auto speed adjust, so I left it at auto. I also enabled the CPUID sensor (which is responsible for kicking in a max acceptable temp, correct?), which was actually disabled in BIOS config jumper position.

My CPU temps haven't given me a problem yet even running Prime 95 so no point in choosing Speedfan over BIOS.
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 23, 2010 5:39:23 PM

badaxe2 said:
Xbeater, I'll look to see if I can adjust the temperature it kicks in higher at, but iirc, my board only had the option to enable or disable it. Maybe I was missing something though.
Most boards will not have the advanced functions, although I know my board has the options, (ASUS). I would expect more advanced/expensive boards to have it. Your typical intel board will not do.

Your temps are fine below 60C though, and with intel chips from that series I believe the limit lies around 70-75 (somebody correct me if im wrong), so your safe then, might be that it doesn't kick in until over 60 or something.

anyways good luck with everything!
m
l
!