Sign in with
Your question

RAID 0 sometimes fails to boot

Last response: in Storage
April 7, 2012 5:58:35 PM

I reinstalled Windows onto a RAID 0 (Asus mobo raid controller) using two 90GB SSDs last night and when it rebooted it said there was no boot disk. So I restarted again and it booted fine. Then I had a BSOD (on a brand new Windows install) and upon reboot it said no boot disk. So I rebooted and it was fine... again.

I come home today to the POST message of 'Insert Boot Media' again (probably another BSOD) so I press reset and it boots fine again.

Thoughts?

More about : raid fails boot

a b G Storage
April 7, 2012 6:12:24 PM

I was working with someone on this board just a few days ago that had a very similiar issue, I posted his fix below. He was also running an ASUS board, what model number is yours?

I finally fixed this .... disabled the Marvell Op ROM... all this does is skip the marvell raid screen (the one after the asus logo screen) now it goes straight to intell raid screen and raid shows normal everytime.... cold boot, warm boot ,reset..machine runs perfect. Not sure if the marvell still checks its drives in the background ... or if it just dont check the marvell controller... but the marvell controller IS enabled just not the op rom..and I have 2 storage drives on them that show up in windows... ... ssd is on intel non member raid... but still has trim... the 2 TB seagates that make up the raid 0 are fine and reads about 350mbps from HD tune and give me 3.6 TB total and format with 64K stripes... the 3930K chip renders a 19minute FHD AVCHD with color correction and titles, overlays, and warping effects in about 15minutes into a YOUTUBE H264 FHD (just different codec container). I know there are many different configs that have different solutions... but I feel ASUS should know to suggest things like this for cold boot problems ...
m
l
a c 542 G Storage
April 7, 2012 6:21:26 PM

Do you have the latest BIOS on your motherboard?
Do you have the latest firmware on your SSDs?
Did you have any other drives connected when you installed Windows on your RAID array?
m
l
Related resources
April 7, 2012 6:45:54 PM

I did read somewhere that the Marvell controllers have problems with SSD's. If you use the Intel controllers, you shouldn't have that issue. Might want to check to see what SATA connectors you are actually using
m
l
April 7, 2012 8:51:51 PM

Thanks for the replies.

I updated the BIOS and will look into the SSD firmware.

I turned off Marvell IDE and am using the intel controller for RAID. I suppose I'll have to wait and see if this fixes it -- only time will tell...

Thanks!
m
l
April 9, 2012 2:44:53 PM

Well... no luck so far.

Was sitting here watching TV and saw the BSOD and reboot. Didn't see the SSD I guess and tried to then boot from CD. So I reset and booted fine to the "Start Windows Normally" screen and into Windows.

I've rebooted several times and not had any problems so it seems related to the BSODs. They go by too fast to read them though - not that they are generally helpful anyway.

EDIT: Just did a hard reset and it booted fine so it must be BSOD related.
m
l
April 9, 2012 4:19:08 PM

Here is the BSOD that keeps popping up and breaking everything...

m
l
April 11, 2012 9:39:02 PM

Found a missing "unknown device" that turned out to be an ACPI Utility. Installed a driver for it from Asus' site and so far....

...so good.

Will keep you updated. Hopefully this will help someone else.
m
l
a c 99 G Storage
April 11, 2012 9:46:39 PM

Could had been it....

Other than everything said, have you checked the SATA connections to the drive AND to the motherboard?

I once had a problem with my OCZ Agility 3 60GB on RAID 0, as RAID Failure. The SATA cables would come loose by themselves, even though they had metal latches. Here is my thread.
m
l
April 11, 2012 9:58:07 PM

foscooter said:
Could had been it....

Other than everything said, have you checked the SATA connections to the drive AND to the motherboard?

I once had a problem with my OCZ Agility 3 60GB on RAID 0, as RAID Failure. The SATA cables would come loose by themselves, even though they had metal latches. Here is my thread.

Yes. I guess I forgot to mention I updated the firmware on the SSDs - one was current the other was behind - and replaced the SATA cables with new locking ones (although they don't lock on the SSDs) but the problem persisted.

The ACPI driver doesn't seem like it would be the culprit as it's not directly related to the SSDs but does handle power management, etc so maybe...
m
l
April 14, 2012 12:13:37 AM

Well it's been another two days and I haven't had a single BSOD. The ACPI driver must have been the culprit - although I still don't see why.

Live and learn!
m
l
February 14, 2013 2:30:20 AM

Going back a few years here but recently came across the same problem with SSD's.
The majority of these BSOD's are due to timing errors and is easy to fix.

Locate your boot.ini file. Edit by copying the boot path changing the volume name or partition on this copy. Name it what you want within the quotes - "dummy boot" etc This creates a secondary dummy boot path which on boot you will be asked which O/S you wish to use. put in 1 second as time to display choice of operating system....Prob solved! :) 
m
l
!