Sign in with
Your question

Budget PC for GF ( Spare part inspiration) Needs to be done this month

Last response: in Systems
March 14, 2010 4:30:57 PM

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: This month

BUDGET RANGE: 400-500 Before Rebates

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Surfing the internet, streaming video, office use, movies
gaming

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: (e.g.: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, OS) **Include Power Supply Make & Model If Re-using** The inspiration for this build, is that I found an unopened Core 2 duo e6300 and Intel dg965wh mobo that i won and never used in my trunk. Oh and I get windows 7 for 10 bucks so i dont need that either.

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Newegg but really anywhere
COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: US

PARTS PREFERENCES:No real preferences. Though the case has to be green, the keyboard white(mac style) and the mouse has to be purple. (it is for the GF)

OVERCLOCKING: If it is possible with that mobo sure why not, but I do not think it is.

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: definitely no.

MONITOR RESOLUTION: I am guessing 1600x 1200 I anticipate a 20-24" monitor.

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: My primary concern is cost. If theres a way to overclock on that board I would love to give it a shot, but if not I doubt I would justify buying a new board. Bonus points for a cheap monitor that has a colored bezel. graphics card wise, she is only ever going to watch movies if there is any gaming done on the thing its because i have no other options lol.
March 14, 2010 5:08:18 PM

is it the conroe or wolfdale e6300?
Related resources
March 14, 2010 6:17:15 PM

sorry to say its a conroe core which is below par these days
March 14, 2010 6:39:44 PM

^ What are you smoking m8? The E6300 is still plenty considering she isn't probably playing Crysis.

@OP: whitefang has a pretty good list but here me out on this:

1. GPU and PSU is probably over kill.

2. The Antec is a pretty damn good PSU but like said, an over kill. Consider this OCZ for $50: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
And the Antec 300: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
(About the same price with S&H). The Antec 200, imo is a bit too small.

3. The list lists DDR3 RAM. DDR3 will NOT work with the Intel board you have OP.

4. Considering LGA775 is EOL and DDR2 prices are the same as DDR3 now, I recommend you sell both the E6300 and the motherboard and invest in a AM3 + Athalon II (X2,X3 or X4). Also, that board is on an old 9xx chipset, meaning you can never upgrade the CPU to a E8xxx/Q9xxx. You can get a good price for a E6xxx from people who still have 9xx chipsets and don't want to upgrade to i5,etc yet.
March 14, 2010 6:45:27 PM

Right DDR3 won't work with his motherboard, I originally had a different setup in my cart and had switched some parts to fit this guys needs and forgot to switch the ram.

He did mention gaming, if you don't need such a good GPU go with the 4850 for $94

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
March 14, 2010 7:11:05 PM

as for selling the processor and mother board the only reason im doing this is because i have them laying around. not gonna try and sell them
!