Sign in with
Your question

CPU FAN,side fan

Last response: in CPUs
May 23, 2010 2:12:38 AM

my cpu fan is blowing on to the heat-sink,i feel the air on the sides of the heat-sink is this ok?
seems odd i always thought it was supposed to be blowing air out from the heat-sink not in.
also i took off my side fan and even my graphics card is running cooler why is that?

More about : cpu fan side fan

a c 131 à CPUs
May 23, 2010 11:05:16 AM

jdwii said:
my cpu fan is blowing on to the heat-sink,i feel the air on the sides of the heat-sink is this ok?
seems odd i always thought it was supposed to be blowing air out from the heat-sink not in.

No, it's not. It's supposed to blow down. Think about it, if it blew up, there would be less airflow. It might not move all the air present above the heatsink. But blowing down, it blows all the air above the heatsink to the sides.

jdwii said:
also i took off my side fan and even my graphics card is running cooler why is that?

Side fan? Impossible to say without you providing information on your setup.

You need to provide more details on your setup to get a better answer. I was assuming a stock HSF that blows air down at the heatsink.
a b à CPUs
May 23, 2010 11:38:47 AM

this happens sometimes, airflow can be affected in many ways, if the side fan was an intake fan, it could have increased the air pressure in the case, leading to increased temperatures, or if it was an exhaust fan, it might have been sucking out cool air b4 it got to all the components, its been said that its never good to have too many intake fans, just one in the hdd area, and its always good to have a rear exhaust and a top exhaust, exhaust fans are more important in the right areas as they pull hot air out of the case, this causes a vacume that causes cool air to take its place, so intake fans to me are really pointless
!