Sign in with
Your question

Corsair H80- Are my cpu temps normal?

Last response: in Overclocking
January 16, 2013 5:34:22 PM

Hello,
I've been using a corsair H80 to cool down an i7 2600K for about 2 months now and I'm pretty disappointed with it. I've done all the good stuff. I've have used the pea sized method to apply the thermal paste and redone it countless times. Made sure that the pump was sitting properly on the cpu plate. At one point I had to add spacers on the back plate because my motherboard was too thin and the pump would not make proper contact with the cpu. All this done, I'm still not sure about the temps.
Right now,Intel speedstep is enabled. I'm using the default motherboard's settings:Turbo boost enabled with a target of 3800MHz on maximum load
My room temperature is at about 28c, and my cpu temps are between 40c and 42c on idle. At load, the cpu reaches 75c Max. This is using IntelBurnTest with stress level set to maximum. Using prime95 it reaches 80c + in no time(I won't even let it run more than 2 minutes).
My case has a pretty good airflow, and my motherboard temps never goes over 33c.
Well, my question is simple. Are my cpu temps normal or is there something wrong with this Corsair H80? I don't really know what's the ratio between room/ambient temperature and cpu temperature.
Thanks
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
a c 76 K Overclocking
January 18, 2013 12:10:08 PM

There are alot more factors when you step into watercooling and expect great temps all around. Your post seems like a Baker Street question/riddle - could you please post your system specs as well?

Lets go along the lines with your post for now:
1| You should head down to the watercooling sticky to fully understand if you've set it up the right way - there's a CLC subsection in the watercooling sticky
2| Its a good thing you've mentioned your ambient temps and the ratio is not a ratio its coined Delta - the temp difference of your loop and the ambient room temp(that feeds the radiator air to cool). You've noticed that you'll need colder ambient air to cool your rad to lower temps.
3| There's nothing wrong with the H80(provided you've set it up as the best possible way -> in watercooling sticky) , its just that the H80 is under performing for such a price point -> a point you've learned the hard way due to advertising.
January 22, 2013 4:03:57 AM

Lutfij said:
There are alot more factors when you step into watercooling and expect great temps all around. Your post seems like a Baker Street question/riddle - could you please post your system specs as well?

Lets go along the lines with your post for now:
1| You should head down to the watercooling sticky to fully understand if you've set it up the right way - there's a CLC subsection in the watercooling sticky
2| Its a good thing you've mentioned your ambient temps and the ratio is not a ratio its coined Delta - the temp difference of your loop and the ambient room temp(that feeds the radiator air to cool). You've noticed that you'll need colder ambient air to cool your rad to lower temps.
3| There's nothing wrong with the H80(provided you've set it up as the best possible way -> in watercooling sticky) , its just that the H80 is under performing for such a price point -> a point you've learned the hard way due to advertising.

Hello, sorry for the delay. Things went crazy at work.
My specs: Case is a Raven rv03, with to 180mm fans pulling air from the bottom of the case and the H80 is pulling the air out of the case on the top side. CPU is an i7 2600K with default turbo boost enabled. Motherboard is temporarily an asus P8z77 -vlx(It should be an asus maximus V gene.) Video card is an Nvidia Gtx 680. 2x4Gb(1600) Corsair Ram sticks. And 1000W power supply. I usually stick to air cooling but the guy from the store insisted that I should go with the H80.
Thanks for you reply.
Regards
!