Sign in with
Your question

What's coming in the next few months?

Last response: in Systems
March 14, 2010 5:37:17 PM

I have accepted a co-op with a fortune 500 company and the pay I'll be getting is great. I'm going to be working May-Dec so I need to take a semester off from school. Since I'll be working full time and be living at home during this time I'll be able to save a lot of the money I earn. So what I'm wondering is when should I upgrade my PC? Is there any new stuff coming out soon that I should wait for?

Here are my current specs:

Processor: E2180 2.00Ghz OC'd to 2.66Ghz
Mobo:GIGABYTE GA-EP35-DS3L
Graphics: 9600 GSO 384 MB
RAM: 2x2GB G.SKILL DDR2 800
HDD: Western Digital 160GB
2x Western Digital 1TB
320GB External MyBook
DVD Burner: LITE-ON 20X DVD±R
Case/PSU: Antec NSK4480 Black/Silver w/ 380W PSU
Mouse: MX518
Keyboard: LITE-ON SK-1788/BS 2-Tone PS/2 Wired
I only have 2 19" monitors right now but one of my plans is to replace both of those with one or two bigger monitors.

As you can tell it's a little dated even at this point. I could upgrade to a newer core 2 duo/quad or i7 and get a big boost in performance but I really want to know if I should wait or go for it now.

More about : coming months

a b B Homebuilt system
March 14, 2010 5:48:02 PM

in the coming months but before june we hope
intel i7 980
nvidia gtx 480
amd phenom x6
cheaper ssd's(we can hope)
m
l
March 14, 2010 5:58:29 PM

Goran said:
I have accepted a co-op with a fortune 500 company and the pay I'll be getting is great. I'm going to be working May-Dec so I need to take a semester off from school. Since I'll be working full time and be living at home during this time I'll be able to save a lot of the money I earn. So what I'm wondering is when should I upgrade my PC? Is there any new stuff coming out soon that I should wait for?

Here are my current specs:

Processor: E2180 2.00Ghz OC'd to 2.66Ghz
Mobo:GIGABYTE GA-EP35-DS3L
Graphics: 9600 GSO 384 MB
RAM: 2x2GB G.SKILL DDR2 800
HDD: Western Digital 160GB
2x Western Digital 1TB
320GB External MyBook
DVD Burner: LITE-ON 20X DVD±R
Case/PSU: Antec NSK4480 Black/Silver w/ 380W PSU
Mouse: MX518
Keyboard: LITE-ON SK-1788/BS 2-Tone PS/2 Wired
I only have 2 19" monitors right now but one of my plans is to replace both of those with one or two bigger monitors.

As you can tell it's a little dated even at this point. I could upgrade to a newer core 2 duo/quad or i7 and get a big boost in performance but I really want to know if I should wait or go for it now.
#

all depends on the budget, high pay to some is low pay to others...

However a i7 is good, the exact model probably wont make much difference at all. And i doubt i7's will be coming down in price anytime soon.

probably best to upgrade ur keyboard to a usb as well. ull need DDR3 ram, probably best at about 1600mhz. graphics again, is down to budget. but at least a 5770 ati, if you wanna go nvidia, then it will cost more, im not too sure with current nvidia cards. Someone else will have to help you on that one.

For future proof though, definitely DDR3 ram, and and i7 (since it looks like you prefer to stick with intel)
m
l
Related resources
March 15, 2010 12:29:57 AM

I guess i7 is the way to go then.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
March 15, 2010 1:06:27 AM

Antec Dark Fleet Series Cases (As well as new ones from Thermaltake and Coolermatser)
Asus Rampage II Exttreme as well as a host of new hexacore USB 3 / SATA III MoBos
OCZ Vertex2 SSD's and others
nVidia 470 / 480 and others

I find June is just about the best time to do a build.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
March 15, 2010 2:34:25 AM

If you're worried about what's on the horizon in the next 12 months or so, the important thing would be to get a socket 1366 motherboard with USB 3.0 and SATA III support. You could feel pretty confident building a top-of-the-line system now with an i7 and HD58xx, but with a 1366 motherboard you'll also be able to support six-core i9 CPUs when they come out. The longer you wait, the more options you'll have on the motherboard.

Video cards are a constant horse race, and there's always something six months out that looks like it'll be better, so don't worry about that too much.

I think the upcoming Nvidia cards are going to matter for exactly dick, though. Not a big performance increase over what's out there now, but a HUGE price premium.
m
l
March 15, 2010 2:49:10 AM

yea, im actually startin to dislike nvidia, they seem to have massive premiums with little or sometimes less performance than ati counterparts.
m
l
!