Hard Drive not detected

phyther

Honorable
Apr 7, 2012
Hi,

After recently moving my computer to my new place, yesterday when I powered on my Win 7 PC it booted up fine. After the OS loads, I get a Adobe updater notice to upgrade my Flash and I go ahead and run the updater.

While the updater was running I noticed that the windows has detected some new hardware and is installing drivers for it. After a bit the Flash update is done and so is the driver install. I have not installed any new devices/components in my system so no clue what new device Win 7 found.

Now after a minute or two, I get a BSOD with some IRQ error (wasn't able to check exact message) and the system reboots. After the reboot all I get is black screen with white cursor. ctrl-alt-del doesn't work, mouse clicks don't do anything. Tried rebooting again and the bios won't detect my hard drive. It detects my optical drive just fine.

Here's what I've done so far:

Swapped out Sata cables/changed to new Sata cables
Tried different Sata ports
Took out and reseated various components including memory, video card.

I'm unable to go into safe mode, it gets stuck at CLASSPNP.SYS

Now the thing is, the hard drive randomly sometimes appears in bios and sometimes it doesn't. I can feel it powering up and vibrating. No clicking or other sounds from it.

Another strange thing happening is that when I boot from Win 7 setup CD, the Win 7 install screen graphics are all messed up.

I do not have access to another drive or case/computer. I have a few questions obviously:

Is this a failing hard drive? Cables work fine and no issues with optical drive

Could it be the mobo? If its mobo, wouldn't the optical drive have issues?

Could it have been a virus? I know I installed the Flash update, but I doubt its a virus as I do have current antivirus.

Is it possible that some part came loose during transportation as I did recently move?

Any help is appreciated.

moving a pc can cause any number of cards or the ram to pop or slightly walk out of there slots. your best bet is to power the pc down and turn off the power supply and open the case. I would reseat the video card and ram and any other card and check the cpu fan when you power it back on that it spinning and on right.

phyther

Honorable
Apr 7, 2012
I have already reseated ram and video card.

All fans are working fine, including CPU/chassis/case.