Sign in with
Your question
Solved

CM 690 II Adv & CM Storm Sniper

Last response: in Components
May 23, 2010 4:03:55 AM

Hello all,

I've narrowed down my search for a new case between the CM 690 II Adv and the Storm Sniper. The 690 II Adv looks like it has tons of features, and I was wondering how many advantages the Sniper has over it.

My build will include a HD 5850 (and a second to be CF'd in the future in this case) and a CM hyper 212+ on the CPU (no water cooling anywhere in the case). Personally, I prefer the looks of the Sniper, but I'm not sure if that justifies the $55 (shipped) differential between the two on newegg. So, should I buy the Storm Sniper? How much better is the cooling on it? How much more solid is the construction? What other advantages does it have, besides being larger and having a handle on the top?

Thanks for your time!

More about : 690 adv storm sniper

a c 139 ) Power supply
May 23, 2010 5:45:39 AM

It's a tough call since both more than meet the requirements of keeping your system cool and provide plenty of room for expansion.
Here are a couple of reviews from Hardware Secrets website. About as close to a head-to-head comparison as you can get.
CM Storm Sniper Black Edition and Cooler Master CM 690 II Advanced
m
l
Related resources
May 23, 2010 12:29:14 PM

If you want to CF then what's your motherboard? The Placement of PCI-e slots may necessitate a case with 8 PCI slots, while both the sniper and 690 II Adv. have only the standard 7!
If possible, I say wait for the HAF X, it will have 9 slots and tons of features !
m
l
a c 139 ) Power supply
May 23, 2010 3:14:38 PM

Wait? LIAN LI PC-P80 is available now and it has 10 expansion slots available.

But if the OP is questioning the value of a $130 case vs a $80 case he's not likely to be interested in a $250+ cases.
And the CM 690 II Adv had the 7 plus 1 expansion slot thing going on anyway.

m
l
May 23, 2010 5:17:53 PM

Here's my mobo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Are the slots an issue with this mobo? I hadn't even considered that!

Also, when's the HAF X coming out, and about how much will it retail for? I do like the current HAF cases, but the styling / non black interior / lack of filters turns me off - maybe this new version will change those!
m
l
a c 139 ) Power supply
May 23, 2010 5:26:07 PM

No issues there.
You only need to count up the number of expansion slots on the motherboard.
Either that, or just match an ATX form factor motherboard with a ATX case.
m
l

Best solution

May 23, 2010 8:02:07 PM

Your mobo's placement of PCI-e slots is perfect fo 2 way CF, any case with the standard 7 slots is a go.
I don't know about the pricing, but see this for some details about the HAF X:
http://www.favstocks.com/cooler-master-shows-a-new-comp...
May 23, 2010 10:23:00 PM

Thanks for the replies guys - I'll hold off buying a case until the HAF X and new antec series come out this summer. However, between the Sniper BE and 690 II Adv, I'd go with the Sniper - I just love the way it looks, and better out-of-box cooling is always nice!
m
l
May 23, 2010 10:23:20 PM

Best answer selected by Sytrus.
m
l
!