Back to Single HD from RAID0

mcquicker

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2010
I have a RAID0 configuration that joins 2 1TB internal drives.

The RAID0 has 2 partitions (C:,H:)

Recently, on bootup, the RAID0 flashed an type/status error code (0)

I have both partitions from the RAID0 backed up with Norton Ghost.

My question is:

If I delete the RAID0 configuration and restores the 2 Hard Drives to C: and H: is it possible to restore the corresponding partition Ghost image to the appropriate HD? In other words, the Ghost image from RAID0 C: to Hdd C:, etc.?

Thanks very much in advance.
Peter

Nebulocity

Honorable
Apr 13, 2012
Mcquicker, I'll try to answer your question as best I can. I'm new here too ;-)

Since the data in a RAID0 volume is distributed between both drives in the RAID 0 drive set, if you break the drive set up into separate drives (C: and H:, respectively), then yes you will lose all of your data on those drives, as you already know.

It should work, assuming you have enough space on one drive to hold both partitions. Does this make sense?

Example #1:
- 2x 500GB HDD in RAID 0 configuration -> 1TB available data.
- I add 750 GB of data to the Raid 0 disk (seen in Windows as 1 disk with 1TB total data).
- I break the the disk set, so now I have 2x 500GB separate HDDs in my system.
- If I try to restore the 750GB to a 500GB hard drive...you can't restore because 1 single disk doesn't have enough space.

Example #2:
- 2x 500GB HDD in RAID 0 configuration -> 1TB available data.
- I add 450 GB of data to the Raid 0 disk (seen in Windows as 1 disk with 1TB total data).
- I break the the disk set, so now I have 2x 500GB separate HDDs in my system.
- If I try to restore the 450GB to a 500GB hard drive...you CAN restore, because 1 drive has enough space for both partitions.

mcquicker

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2010
Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, it seems that when you set up a RAID-0 configuration it writes to the regedit file so when you try and rebuild outside the setup, you get an error. I'm sure, however, there is a way around this, because it is, I'm sure, something that happens often, once people realize the inherent dangers of a RAID-0 configuration.

McQ

TRENDING THREADS