Your question

CPU fan speed

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Graphics Cards
  • Computer
Last response: in CPUs
May 23, 2010 4:48:37 AM

My computer keeps rebooting for no reason. I installed a new video card and later I realized it was the PSU that was causing it to restart and then updated the PSU. Life was smooth until now and the PC keeps rebooting again. I went into the BIOS and noted that

CPU Fan Speed: 0 RPM
System Fan Speed: 3245 RPM

CPU Temp: 41 C
System Temp: 30 C

Is there something here that I am missing?

More about : cpu fan speed

a b à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
May 23, 2010 5:36:33 AM

List your specs please.

41°C should be fine for any CPU... It could be a second dodgy PSU.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
May 23, 2010 7:02:07 AM

CPU Fan Speed = 0 is not okay. Your CPU 41 C temp may just be at the start but since the CPU Fan does not spin, the CPU temp will rise the longer the PC is on... But it should shut down as far as I know... not reboot...

Make sure your CPU FAN is spinning. Check that it the CPU fan is connected to the CPU FAN header...
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
May 23, 2010 7:18:11 AM

+1 to what randomkid said. You need to ensure that your CPU fan speed does increase as you use your computer otherwise you will experience overheating issues. A visual check can also tell you if the fan is rotating.
m
l
May 23, 2010 6:31:14 PM

thank you for your responses.

Below are the specs:

AMD Sempron 3400 Processor
1.5GB RAM
XP Pro Service Pack 3
GE Force 8600 GT Graphics card
ECS 761GX-M754 Mother board

Visual check seems fine...it does seem to be rotating...when I opened that up, the bottom was brown so that I added some paste on there making sure not to touch that by hand. the display showing "CPU Fan: 0 RPM" doesn't mean the fan is not working does it? So Can I just let it go.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
May 24, 2010 1:49:39 PM

CPU Fan: 0rpm is a problem. Are you sure you plug the CPU fan connector to the motherboard CPU Fan header correctly? Can you take pictures?

And you clarify where you added some paste? Do you mean between the processor and the heatsink? Also check if the heatsink is clear of dust. Even if the fan is spinning but it the heatsink is dirty it is bound to heat up since the heat can not dissipate out of dusty heatsink.
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 24, 2010 3:11:12 PM

It sounds like the motherboard's onboard sensor is malfunctioning, maybe from poor voltage from previous psu.
m
l
May 24, 2010 5:42:02 PM

randomkid said:
CPU Fan: 0rpm is a problem. Are you sure you plug the CPU fan connector to the motherboard CPU Fan header correctly? Can you take pictures?

And you clarify where you added some paste? Do you mean between the processor and the heatsink? Also check if the heatsink is clear of dust. Even if the fan is spinning but it the heatsink is dirty it is bound to heat up since the heat can not dissipate out of dusty heatsink.

Thank you once again for your replies. I will post the pictures shortly as I don't have the computer with me right away, but the CPU fan sure was rotating. I did add some paste between the processor and the heat sink and the heat sink was cleaned with a compressed air can. I think pictures would explain the best and will get them posted as soon as I can.
m
l
!